Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

W.I.P - NGC6914 Emission Nebula in Cygnus

TakMan

Had a go at this last week when it was 'clear'... although it wasn't really was it?

I think looking at the results that I would have been better off catching up with other hobbies, friends, the wife etc...!

Never mind, it was good to get out again, if nothing more than to familiarise myself again with the gear and what I'm supposed to do with it :)

I also have a further 3 hours worth on M52 and The Bubble, but after seeing this I'm not looking forward to processing that data either :D

I shall await 'our French Contingent' :) to blow it away with some 20+ hour marathon through clear skies!

Details:

RGB One Shot Colour

23x 600sec light exposures

Flats(+Bias), Darks processed

Tak FSQ106-ED @ native - 530mm/f.5

SBIG ST-4000XCM - OSC self guiding @ -13c, couldn't get to my usual -20c as I didn't want to push the cooler past 80%.

IDAS-V2 filter

Tak EM400 mount

Control via 17" G4 Apple Powerbook running MicroProjects Equinox 6 (mount control) and Image (camera control/image acquisition).

FIRST ATTEMPT AT PROCESSING, so very much a work in progress :happy1::

Pre-processed, aligned and stacked in Nebulosity2.

Post Processing in PhotoShop CS5 + Russell Crowman's GradientXT + Noel's Actions

NGC 6914 is a reflection nebula embedded within the diffuse emission nebulosity of the Cygnus region - not that you can see much of that here! The region represents an immense collection of young stars, most of which are hidden by surrounding dust. The blue reflection nebula adds a bit of interest to this region - well that's what Prof. Greg Parker said who was my inspiration for this!

Perhaps I'll return next year to capture some better data....

Thanks for looking...

Damian

post-16760-133877673742_thumb.jpg

Great shot! Something I haven't seen before, I think the blue nebula just peeking through looks like a rip in the space time continuum :)

Definitely benefit from more data though....but then again don't they all!

Thanks for sharing mate and looking forward to your other images!

Clear skies,

Matt.

Archived