NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which Celestron Eyepiece is better for planetary observation??

Flyingpig

I have followed with some interest the recent thread started by Bertfry regarding planetary eyepiece recommendations. I note that many people favour the New X-Cel LX Eyepieces. I have particular interest since I am searching this question myself; and I was wondering which of the following is the better choice. I own 2 scopes, a Celestron 11" CPC GPS XLT, and the more portable Celestron Nexstar 5 SE. My primary observation is planetary but I am aiming to begin observing more deep space objects once I acquire this eyepiece and I shall be using my 2x Powermate for when the viewing is favourable.

13mm Celestron Ultima LX or 12mm Celestron X-Cel LX

How do these eyepieces compare with the following for deep space observation?

12.5mm Baader Genuine Orthoscopic

11mm TeleVue Plossl

12mm Meade 5000 Series HD-60 LE

Hi guys,

I;m a convert to the better Celestron EPs..I now have 32 and 22mm Ultimax LX's and a 7mm Axiom. They are all superb eyepieces, and in my opinion much underrated. I've sold most of my other eps as I am so pleased with the Celestrons..the Ultimas have a 70deg field, the Axiom a whopping 82 degrees. Build quality is great, and the Ultimas design means they can't roll off a table or shelf if they are on their sides.

I'd highly recommend and will now probably get a 13mm Ultima or 15mm Axiom when funds permit, to complete the set...oh, and they barlow really well with my Revelation 2" ED barlow..

HTH

Dave

Thanks for the info Dave, Yes I can agree that the Celestron Axiom LX is an awesome eyepiece; as you say the build quality is superb even down to the anti-roll design. I have a 23mm Axiom LX and an older design 34mm Axiom both are optically superb.

I have no previous experience of the Ultima LX's so I'm glad to hear your recommendation. I must say the Celestron Omni series are not bad for budget EP's either and the Barlow is great, I use it with my Nexstar 5SE because the powermate makes things a tad heavy.

Archived