TL@O on Kindle

I was having a look on amazon last night and noticed that Turn Left at Orion is now available for Kindle. Does anyone have it in this format? I am considering buying it like this but worry that the pictures wont be up to standard. Or does anyone have the hard copy and access to a kindle who would be willing to download the free sample and compare the 2 for me?

Cheers

hi i've done just that, got the hard copy and downloaded the sample, the pictures on the kindle are sometimes hard to see , its ok if you want to sit on the sofa and read though it but is totally hopeless to use in the field, as you need light to read the kindle and i found red light and the kindle dont mix , as its a book you use to find objects its designed to read with the scope. hope this ramble helps.

ps there are just brought out a ringbound version which i would feel is a lot better to use .

ps just had another go with a better red light and it is readable , the pics in the hard copy are black & white, so thers no differance on the kindle the diagrams on the kindle are easy to read but the text is on another page so you have to keep turning page back & forth , but it could work as the kindle is so light you could hold it in one hand and control the scope with the other , i will give it a go tonight , weather permitting.. dobbie.

now that i had a good mess about with the kindle and tl@o i found that IMHO that i would find it very tiresome looking at the diagram then turning page to read text then back again , would much prefer to see them both together on a page , so for me its ok on the sofa with a coffee, but not so good in the field,

• 2 weeks later...

The much-expanded 4th edition of Turn Left at Orion (including lots of new objects and a focus on Dobsonians as well catadioptrics and refractors) is now out in the UK and will be available in the US in late October or early November. We just got our authors' copies and we're pretty happy with how it came out. I'm probably not supposed to do anything to reduce sales of any version of the 3rd edition (!), but you might want to consider waiting for the 4th edition, particularly if you have a Dob.

Clear Skies!

Dan Davis (one of the authors)

Hi

I have V3 on my iPad - but not the kindle version (I have the PDF version I think.) I use Bluefire ereader and it's as good as the book - gave my last two copies to friends starting out - can't give the electronic one away :)

Hope this helps

Paul

Archived