Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First decent viewing

zainraza

Most my nights so far have been just looking at Jupiter (only had the scope earlier this year) and the moon but I've never been able to see much else.

Tonight I managed to see more than I have done before; got up around 4am (couldn't sleep) and found that Orion was high in the sky and I couldnt have asked for a clearer night. Using stellarium I looked for anything nearby worth seeing.

First found Jupiter to help focus the EPs, saw the planet + its moons then moved across and for the first time saw the Pleiades which was brilliant.

Moving onto Orion, I thought I'd just try and find the nebula but was skeptical due to the scope not being strong but I did find it and even though it was just a grey cloud like thing, its amazing what we can really see even in polluted areas :)

Lastly went over to Mars which I never thought I'd be able to see either but there it was, a small red point which could be seen just as easily with the naked eye.

All in all it has been my best viewing night so far and has rekindled my love for astronomy; I was about to give up till next summer and pack the scope away but I've changed my mind :(

I was about to give up till next summer and pack the scope away but I've changed my mind

Glad to hear you're not going to pack the scope up. There is plenty a 130mm can show you very well indeed, even from light polluted skies.

I had a 114mm Newt for many years and it gave me great service.

Winter is a great time for open clusters. These do not need giant apertures, far from it, most look a lot better in smaller scopes.

Take your scope on a tour of Cassiopeia/Perseus there are many great open clusters there to wet your appetite.

Regards Steve

Nice report. Winter is a great time for DSOs. If you get your scope out to a dark area, M42 will blow you away. It is an amazing sight, even in my little 80mm travel scope. The wide field afforded by these smaller scopes is excellent for bigger DSOs. The Double Cluster in Perseus is a must, and easy to find below Cassiopeia.

Archived