Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

goto vs dob

for visual observing other than planets/doubles/lunar I feel there's nothing like aperture. for the former you would be better with a smaller aperture and a slower focal ratio.

perhaps within budget you could actually buy two scopes. I'd also suggest two dobs. a 6" f8 and a 10" f5. I suspect you could buy both used (and with patience) within budget. if you are or anyone you know is handy with wood then you could perhaps consider making an equatorial platform. this would enable tracking for one of your scopes for higher powers.

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/127311-equatorial-platform-dobsonian-telescopes.html

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

If you are after aperture then the Dob wins hands down. The Skywatcher Skyliner 200P is an 8-inch sub £300 Dob that combines the aperture with portability / storage.

The only alternative is the SW Skymax 127, either in Supatrak or Goto forms. This will be very good for planets, lunar and double stars and if you add a focal reducer this will help with the DSO observing. This setup is extremely portable at the expense of aperture. Both models of Skymax would come in under your £300-500 budget.

If in doubt contact a local group and arrange to attend a public astro session so that you can try before you buy.

Archived