Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which Filter Do I Need???

I,m using a Celestron C6-RGT 1200mm focal length Refractor, (known as 'The Yard Cannon'). I've been viewing Jupiter the last couple of nights. I'm not happy about the planets reflection given off by the sun. It's quite bright. It's a sort of glow all the way round. I don't thinks it's what you call CA. I'm not seeing colours or anything around the planet just an annoying intense glow and is probably spoiling any detail I might otherwise see. Maybe this is natural when observing Jupiter. It's my first time observing it. Do I need a filter for this and which type?

Thanks.

You don't generally need a filter for Jupiter with 6" of aperture although some do use them. The glow around the planet will probably be chromatic abberation (CA) but it should not be so bad in an F/8 achromat that you can't see any details on the planet :)

You can reduce the CA using a minus violet filter or similar - the Baader Fringe Killer is along those lines:

First Light Optics - Baader Fringe Killer Filter

How long did you observe the planet for ? - it might be that your eye just needs to get used to viewing it - it can take 30 mins or more for that to happen.

You might simply use a neutral-grey lunar filter (no.96 I reckon). As it reduces glare, it allows you to see details outside of NEB or SEB. I find it quite useful, even with my modest scope. No. 80A blue is also quite good for enhancing contrast though, but not much else.

How long did you observe the planet for ? - it might be that your eye just needs to get used to viewing it - it can take 30 mins or more for that to happen.

This is true. Planetary observing needs a great dead of patience and persistence.

Regards Steve

Archived