Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A confession....

jamespels

Hi all,

After nearly a year of "being an astronomer", I have FINALLY seen my first galaxy.

I have been moaning all summer about the lack of a southerly view during or neighbours new extension but found last night that it really effectively cuts out the street light, making the skies I can see much better - I only live a couple of miles from Stoke but could still make out the Milky Way:). Following a family bbq, I took the rev bins out (tal still in bits :)) and was delighted to finally see Andromeda for the first time.

I feel slightly embarrassed at having only just reached this milestone but it was well worth the wait!

Hi all,

After nearly a year of "being an astronomer", I have FINALLY seen my first galaxy.

I have been moaning all summer about the lack of a southerly view during or neighbours new extension but found last night that it really effectively cuts out the street light, making the skies I can see much better - I only live a couple of miles from Stoke but could still make out the Milky Way:). Following a family bbq, I took the rev bins out (tal still in bits :)) and was delighted to finally see Andromeda for the first time.

I feel slightly embarrassed at having only just reached this milestone but it was well worth the wait!

Congrats, i have seen this a few times now and even clocked it with my binos last night. Its impressive to see things when they are so far away :p

From a fellow Stokey :)

Fainter objects can be difficult to find - And even with a Telescope?

Star hopping notwithstanding... :p

I viewed it a "major triumph" to find M65/66 with a MAK150 on a Giro III. :)

Though perhaps less of a strain on the neck as e.g. M81/82?

Placing the beggars in a limited (video, webcam...) field is never easy either. But I am following the 60's lead of "Sir Patrick", who seemed to suggest that a scope could never have "Too many Finders". But then, I have also come to value the merits of (increasingly accurate) "GoTo" as well... :)

congrat's. ive only seen andromeda m31 in the galaxy department too.my 90mm refractor paired with the l/p by me just wont allow me any !

however i must say i can see andromeda almost at will, even with 10x50 bins and l/p ,even if the moons about. allbeit very faint. but its something to show if people come round and show an interest. happy hunting...

Well, I have time today and tomorrow to reassemble the TAL - the timing is a bit unfortunate as last night looks to have been the last decent one for a while but at least it will be fully working next time the sky is OK.

Dr Who - as a fellow Stokey I fully expct your support at PSP2011 - it's just up the road for you! :)

Macavity, I know what you mean about the finders - I am blessed with a particularly good 8x50 one on the TAL but I am still planning to bolt a telrad / red dot finder on too... At f8 it's not the best scope for DSO imaging but it is a rock solid mount so it has to be worth a shot.

Here's to a winter of crisp, clear weekend nights and plentiful galaxies, Messiers and NGCs all round!

M81 and M82 are bright enough to shine through urban light pollution - I have spotted them with my small Mak.

There are a couple of other bright Messier galaxies I've managed to spot from a city - I will try dig out my notes.

If you can see the milky way, then you might be able to spot M33 on a good night.

And don't forget the two satellite galaxies of M31 - M32 and the other one (can't remember)... :-) These are quite easy to see once you have found M31.

Archived