NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

WIP Bubble plus M52 Lum/Ha/OIII

Ant

I've had some fun recently... I realise that this object is done to death, but each year I like to have another go.

I have darker skies now, I am able to image with a LP filter - which is something new to me.

So on the 28th I took 22 x 10 Lum subs through a IR/UK filter. I took 101 bias and 101 flats.

On the 29th I took 11 x 10m Ha Subs with 101 flats and 11 x 10m OIII subs and another 101 flats.

I've processed each batch of images separate, with the usual levels and curves.

This image is mapped Lum = Red, Ha = Green and OIII = Blue. I have to admit that I have no idea how to include luminance data in a false colour RGB :)

I need to read Steve's book!!!

So 220m lum mapped to red, 110m Ha mapped to Green and 110m OIII mapped to blue.

Think more data need really - is there any SII in the bubble?!?

Cheers

Ant

BubbleM52_Lum_Ha_OIII.jpg

Did you think about first aligning your Ha & OIII master frames to the Luminence. Then creating a Ha®/OIII(G&:p image with noels actions or Maxim - then using photoshop, copy and paste the RGB data into the already fully processed Luminence master (blend as colour).

You can apply a bit of NR to the RGB master and it wont show in the luminence.

Ive had plenty of practice with this over the past few days :)

Good shot anyways!

I can get an Ha/OIII/OIII image with no trouble but I'm really struggling getting the Lum data in...

I've followed several procedures online and they just do not work :)

Any tips?

Ant

Nice image mate! There's a gradient across the top and to the left of the image (OIII data I think) but that should be a dodle to process out.

Just remember when adding the luminance to the RGB the layer property selected should be luminance and when adding an RGB layer to the luminance the layer should be "colour" from the drop down box.

Also you have the luminance in the correct format for merging?

Hope you get it sorted Ant,

Matt.

p.s. There is a little bit of SII on the left of the actual bubble itself and stretching into the cloud.

It looks like youve almost cracked it there, barring the slight gradient. Did you read the starizona guide? Theres a guide there for adding luminence data.

But if its any help, here is how I do it.

1) Open both your fully processed L and RGB masters in PS. Then on your L master, change its mode to RGB. You can afford to be quite severe with your star and noise reduction on your original RGB master, especially when doing Hubble pallette (since the R channel is always bloated or noisy).

attachment.php?attachmentid=69528&stc=1&d=1317568288

2) Next, do a Select all (ctrl +a) on the RGB master, copy it. Then paste it into the L master. Set the blend mode on the new layer as colour. You might want to fiddle with the saturation or throw in a slight curve before merging the layers down.

attachment.php?attachmentid=69529&stc=1&d=1317568377

Here is an example of the effect it should have. On the right is the RGB original heavily NR'd and stars reduced. While on the left is the L data with the colour data from the original RGB master pasted into it. Sharpness without the "vaseline on the lens" look :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=69530&stc=1&d=1317568377

Hope that helps Ant. Let us know how you get on.

Rob

post-18171-133877670681_thumb.jpg

post-18171-133877670687_thumb.jpg

post-18171-133877670694_thumb.jpg

Ok thanks for the tips Rob, here is the finished result. Maybe I wasn't harsh enough on the R channel. The improvement is slight but it is an improvement...

So Ha for Red and OIII for both Blue and Green. Pasted as a layer in the Lum image. Little bit of jigery pokery with curved.

Then one last final adjustment for the back ground using Maxims flatten background options.

Better I think?

BubbleM52_L-Ha-Oiii-Oiii.jpg

Cheers

Ant

Archived