Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Andromeda Galaxy M31

Peter Reader

Hi all,

Have had 2 nights of faffing about after several months without using the scope, but finally got some good M31 data:

77 x 60s at ISO 1000

AndromedaSeptember30thattempt3crop.jpg

I've obviously got some focus issues and some colour gradient problems here... but pretty pleased with this attempt :)

PS: sorry about the squiggles -haven't taken any dark frames to get rid of hot pixels...

Auto-guiders, are the answer ! I also have problems with an unguided Skyview Pro and a 500-750 mm Nikon telephoto. The lens is fantastic, but if I try exposures much longer than 60-90 seconds, the periodic error starts to make itself known.

I also have problems with light pollution, in that exposures of more then 90 seconds are so orange that the desired target is overwhelmed with the sky glow. I am working hard to understand how to eliminate this problem as I cannot resort to an LP filter for a lens that is about 4 inches across, and takes a special filter that is paper thin and held in a special holder.

Well, this should be a topic for another thread, and I do not intend to pirate yours. I just wanted to say that I suspect you probably have reached the limit, and can stack till daylight, but probably not with longer subs.

Any and all other opinions are gladly welcome! Clear skies

Jim S.

Archived