Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Orion Skyquest xt series (dobsonian) - an Intelligent Choice?

Hello

Having almost decided definitively on which dob scope to buy this weekend (a skywatcher), somebody suggested I take a look at the Orion Intelliscope range. Before I go and press my hard earned wonga into an eager hand, I wondered if anybody had any strong opinions, either in favour or against this line of scopes...they look pretty tempting at first glance....

Thanks

Tinny

The optics in them are just the same as the Skywatchers - made by the same manufacturer. Orion (USA) stuff seems to be more expensive in the UK than the Skywatcher equivalents. The Intelliscope system is interesting - I think it's a "push to" approach.

Yes I think you manouvere the scope manually to the position of objects in its database by following visual commands and therefore it's a useful hybrid between learning the skies for yourself and using a GOTO. I think my mate umadog said that bearings on orion dobs can be nasty, but are easy/cheap to replace.

I may be falling for the blurb however so wondered if anyone had any practical experience?I'm getting my first scope this wknd so getting nervous/very excited!

I have an XT6 and XT8 intelliscope for outreach purposes. Each have excellent optics and the "push to" feature is simple and accurate. As allready posted, the optics are the same as in the less expensive Skywatcher series, it mostly depends on whether you would like the "push to" option. There have been no mechanical problems as yet, the later Crayford type focusers are an improvement over the rack & pinions.

Thanks Peter

Ok, so your paying for the intelli bit of the scope then...As you gain experience do's it remain as useful a tool for navigation or do you find yourself not using it?

It do's appear to provide the best of both world's

The bearings on my old Orion XX12i Inteliscope were GOOD. It was the bearings on the XT8 classic which are the problem. I don't know what the bearings are on the smaller Inteliscopes, but I have handled an 8" and remember it being good. These scopes have a variable tension elevation bearing which really works. I used to observe with a 2.2 lbs eyepiece plus a Paracorr on the XX12, although that was pushing what the tensioner is capable of.

This US supplier sells bearings:

ScopeStuff

ScopeStuff

Also, these thumbscrews are fantastically useful and should come as standard:

ScopeStuff

If set up right, the Inteliscope is accurate and works well. I've seen people use it all night long and it keeps frustration at bay. I didn't use it much myself and bought the scope because it was mostly well designed and had nice features, not because of the object locator.

Sorry Umadog I think I may have taken your name in vain! Thats interesting, I thought the Intelli bit may have been a bit much for a dob purist like yourself ;-)

Are they particularily hard scopes to set up?

Do you think I may be pushing my luck if I started on the 12"-i for a firstscope?

Sorry to change the subject here guys, but do's anyone know if it's possible to get hold of Sky at Night or Astronomy Now magazines scope reviews online?Are they worth it!?Sadly a lot of reviewer's in general seem to be in the pocket of, or gagged by the big manufacturer's nowadays, so are often not particularily critical!

pls excuse the one fingered slow typing!

Tinny.

Once you become familiar with the positions of the popular DSO's you are probably better off using the excellent finder, however, for the fainter obscure objects still within the range of the scope, the "intelligent" function is invaluable.

On the subject of reviews, this forum (SGL) has a members review section which has 900 threads in it !:

Member Equipment Reviews - Stargazers Lounge

The Cloudynights forum has review sections which are for public browsing:

Telescope Reviews | Cloudy Nights

as does Astromart:

Optics Reviews | Digital Camera & Astronomy Telescope Reviews

You sometimes find extracts from the Sky at Night and Astronomy Now magazine reviews on the manufacturers and dealers web sites eg: here is OVL, the UK Skywatcher importers reviews / manuals section:

http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/manuals.asp

The website "Andy's Shot Glass" carries reviews of Orion (USA) equipment and some others:

Andy's Shot Glass - Affordable Amateur Astronomy and Astrophotography

And finally the official Orion (USA) website also links to reviews here and there I seem to recall:

Orion Telescopes: Orion Telescopes & Binoculars - Telescope.com

Hope those resources help a bit :)

In all honesty, there's not a vast difference between a 10" and a 12" in terms of what you'll see. But the 12" is a much bigger deal to haul about (particularly the solid tube model). Personally, I felt that I could have handled the 12" as my only scope and not needed a grab and go but it was right at the limit. Your limit may be different (in either direction).

Some people have reported trouble setting up the Inteliscope. Particularly getting the encoders to work correctly. I had some trouble with it it too but I put virtually no effort in to fixing it, which is mainly why I didn't use it. It was easier to learn where the target was than to diagnose the locator. I quite liked the locator's ability to confirm what I'd star-hopped to.

Actually, I'm not so much of a purist! My big scope does have Goto. I mainly use that for tracking because I do enjoy finding things myself. Also, once you know where something is, it's quicker to just point the scope by eye than to engage the clutches and find the object in the DSC controller. If I'm having trouble star-hopping to something and I'm on a rare trip somewhere dark then I'll use the Goto. Why waste the time when you're only there 3 times a year?

Hmmm this Intelli function is starting to sound like a good idea...

Wow cheers John, i think that will keep me going for a while :-)

I'm not to sure why the two mentioned mags don't allow access more freely, The Sky at Night website even proudly states it has reviews but when you look it just has a Fisher Price scope and a some binoculars out of a christmas cracker!Nevermind, the sites you have given look like an ample resource...

p.s. sorry everyone for the late reply an owl just flew into my darkened dining room!I kid you not, after living in the countryside all my life I have never seen anything like it!May it wanted to tell us all it had just spotted a new supernova hehe

Archived