Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finding Neptune

andrew63

For those looking for Neptune again or searching for the first time it's in a relatively easy location.

About due south at nightfall lowish in the sky find Iota Aquarii a 4.5 mag star - if you have poor light pollution it will be bright in a finder or binoculars at about 1.5 degrees directly above is Neptune.

In my 4" refrac you get a largish field so it is in the same field as star. In the field through the eyepiece with north up about a degree to the left is a 7mag star and another 7mag to the right. Then about 0.5 above these two stars dissecting them is Neptune about a mag. fainter. In my telescope you can see all this easily in the field of view with a 32mm eyepiece.

Should be visible in binoculars with good seeing.

Have a look!

andrew

Good job Andrew, have enjoyed several views of it recently, although very small it does appear to show a disc with a very distinctive bluish tone to me.

I have been using a cpc 925 and 13mm Ethos mind so not exactly had to work hard to "find" it.

Archived