The perfect night...

ollypenrice

I know I have a good site but last night was ridiculous!! :) On the Tak mount we shot 9.5 hours of data on the Bubble in absolute flat calm, without humidity, in 15 and 10 minute subs without losing a single one. Now that's what you call a night out! I even spent some of it in bed.

Olly

You lucky boy - the weather has taken a turn for the better here in old blighty but some serious mistiness about where I live - so much so that the other night I thought my prized Feathertouch was slipping as the FWHM figures started to climb but instead it was a developing mist!!

West Sussex is renowned for its beautiful landscapes, friendly inhabitants, local wine and good food - fancy doing a house swap?

You lucky boy - the weather has taken a turn for the better here in old blighty but some serious mistiness about where I live - so much so that the other night I thought my prized Feathertouch was slipping as the FWHM figures started to climb but instead it was a developing mist!!

West Sussex is renowned for its beautiful landscapes, friendly inhabitants, local wine and good food - fancy doing a house swap?

Heh heh; if you sell a house in West Sussex you could buy half of France!! Come and join us!

Olly

You are very fortunate, but then so are we Olly. Just because we get mostly rubbish weather over here, we have to be thankful for images you can produce. I'm sure we look forward to the results from that excellent spell you've just described.

I brought my Obs. out of hibernation when the good spell of weather hit the UK. I put the 12" Meade onto Jupiter after a cooling down period on Tuesday evening. I was hoping to get some Avis using the DMK21 IS camera. However, after a spell of just viewing the planet, it was obvious the seeing was pretty poor. Heavy dew also made matters a lot worse.

I tried again last night, and although I had no problem with moisture, the seeing was still very poor, and scuttled any hopes of getting any decent images. So whilst the days are wonderful, and we enjoy the sunshine, the nights are not good enough for decent astronomy, either imaging, or observing. I hope things improve as Jupiters draws ever closer.

Ron.

We had a football game over at the high school stadium, which is only about a long block away, so my sky was flooded with the field lights. I did get a nice picture of the moon at twilight, but the sky was pretty much washed out for any other observing. I really HATE the sky conditions here in Hagerstown. If the city lights aren't bright enough, they turn on the football field lights, and that just totally destroys my chances of seeing anything dimmer than Arcturus !

Glad to hear that your weather is improving over there. We actually are expecting temperatures to get down to around 40 F in the next few nights. BRRRR ! I didn't think I was going to have to get out my "wollys" quite yet !

Jim S.

Archived