Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cannon cameras for astrophotography?

Quatermass

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good review that cheers. I do like the G1 but i am thinking a Canon might just have the edge on it. As other forum members have gone from the lumix G2 then a Canon and said performance was better at higher ISO settings. Do you use photoshop for working on your pictures? It should clear up the grads a treet. And do yoi have an axis drive on your scope?

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk

i do use photoshop but i find my type of dyslexia (dysgraphia, dyxbraxia) seriously impare its use as i find it difficult to "imagine" the use of it but i have a go :)

i have a duel axis drive mount (have a look at my album at the new megrez and kson) i use a kson eklipse on a wedge, u point it east after polar alligning, then it slews to 1 bright object (moon, jupitor or star) and gets it spot on after it and i centered it with the camera viewfinder :)

i would say canons are impressive from the 10d all way to the 1100d, but after seeing the d3s on the widefield that camera is impressive even more... but its 3k pricetag is out of my reach :p

You will do well with an Astronomik clip in filter with a Canon. They are really very good. It will make a big difference for you.

Clip filters cannot be used with EF-S lenses as they go deeper into the body. Just a word of caution if you forget about it and try to fit an EF-S lens :)

Just in case you wonder what the crunch noise is :p

I really hate EF-S lenses though,, plasticy, light, are they even glass lenses?, they sure don't feel like it, my eyepieces are heavier than an EF-S lens.

And my biggest pet hate about them, no INFINITY marker/click on the focus ring.

I didnt realise you were dyslexic as well theres a few of us on the forum so it seems my pal mark on here is dyslexic as well. Shame about photoshop for you its a bit of a monster to get your head around ;-) Take your point about the exspense of these new cameras though they cost a bomb. If you want any of your photos passed through photo shop justlet me know be happy to help out :-)

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk

after seeing the d3s on the widefield that camera is impressive even more... but its 3k pricetag is out of my reach :p

The Nikon D800 and D4's are just around the corner ... :):D:D oops one "0" too many

As for Canons anything later than the 450D without going to high on the MP count... The 1100D should be a nice cam for astro when its modded... The earlier cams produce good results but need a bit more work - carefully matched Darks to ge the best from them...

With My 8th DSLR imminent.. I have finally decide to sell one... so the 500D is off to pastures new...

Peter...

I really hate EF-S lenses though,, plasticy, light, are they even glass lenses?, they sure don't feel like it, my eyepieces are heavier than an EF-S lens.

And my biggest pet hate about them, no INFINITY marker/click on the focus ring.

i cant use my 18'55mm lens because of the lack of infinity mark its just too much hassle on a non liveview camera :p stick to pantex m42 lens!

I didnt realise you were dyslexic as well theres a few of us on the forum so it seems my pal mark on here is dyslexic as well. Shame about photoshop for you its a bit of a monster to get your head around ;-) Take your point about the exspense of these new cameras though they cost a bomb. If you want any of your photos passed through photo shop justlet me know be happy to help out :-)

i find my dyslexia only effects speach, hand eye, writing, and spelling, but being left handed as well.... really messes my head up:P

prob best if you want is somthing around 450d + even a 1000d second hand (ebay.... COULD help i had my 300d + all lens and adapters off there all at "the right prices" the best about the older lens is they dont go very high at all

thanks for the offer quatermass :)

i didnt no there was a red screen mode.... i have mine turned off :) found it took too much valuable cool down time quickly review the pics during the full min after savin!

i cant use my 18'55mm lens because of the lack of infinity mark its just too much hassle on a non liveview camera :( stick to pantex m42 lens!

i find my dyslexia only effects speach, hand eye, writing, and spelling, but being left handed as well.... really messes my head up:P

prob best if you want is somthing around 450d + even a 1000d second hand (ebay.... COULD help i had my 300d + all lens and adapters off there all at "the right prices" the best about the older lens is they dont go very high at all

thanks for the offer quatermass :)

i didnt no there was a red screen mode.... i have mine turned off :p found it took too much valuable cool down time quickly review the pics during the full min after savin!

Do what I am about to do :p Nail polish on the ring after zooming in the daytime to a far object with AF :)

There is no Red mode that I can find, but every other colour on the display :|

Maybe I should slip them an email to their firmware department :)

There is a wine burgendy mode, close I guess but just not the same.

I honestly would trust the infinity mark especially when you using lenses from one system on the body of another... also remeber that clip in filters make a slight difference to the infinity focus.. and that zooms which may be "parafocal" enough for terestrial use aren't up to it for astro... My Canon 24-105 F4L IS USM and 70-200 F4 L's certainly aren't...

Peter...

Well it seems that we have Canon fans and also Nikon fans lol I really dont mind what camera people use so long as I get to see some fantastic astrophotography from them all.

I used to have Canon ESO SLR camera not digital many years ago and really loved it but.. having said all that my cousin who is a professional photographer and does if for a living is coming round mine next week with his mega expensive Nikon Camera. The deal is I get to have a go with it and he gets a free astronomy lesson and a go with my telescope sounds like a good deal to me.

But for me its going to have to be the second hand market until I win the lottery or find some buried treasure.

Well Im glad we have lots of dyslexic astronomers out there makes me feel less worried about my spelling mistakes ie Cannon not canon :)

Untill I get to grips with the 7D for everythign other than astro the Nikon D200 is still my fav DSLR... Canon keep changing the menus , button functions etc so its a nightmare...

I still haven't decide which cam is going to be my Full Frame DSLR the Canon 5D MKIII looks interesting the Mk II is a cracker.. but then again there's the Nikon D700 and D800 ...

hmmm

I have equal investment in both Nikon and Canon Kit.. but haven't got a flash and macro setup for the Canon's yet...

Warning though about more expensive cameras, they are heavier, perhaps 2 or 3 times heavier than the cheap plastic entry level ones.

Check prices coming up around Christmas, they are already discounting new bodies (you wont need a lens if you are using it for astrophotography, and anyway the kit lenses are ****), if you really want a lens you could get a Tamron or Sigma cheaper, the only issue is forward compatibility but usually they will update them if relatively new to be compatible with new bodies.

I would expect a new canon body only to be 280 GBP (Ive seen them at this before this year), and Amazon is 330 now, I expect lower prices later in the year.

im considering getting a newer camera body... just hope it works with my older lens

i held a 10d once.... compared it to my 300d (their identical camera but different software near enough) and one was like a led weight next to a tennis ball :)

one of my old house mates had the fuji "semi" dslr, and it was as light as the 18 55 kit lens it didnt feel right in the hands

1100D can use EF lenses, infact EF-S lenses are just to make the manufacturing cheaper to make them cheaper, I wouldn't expect good EF-S lenses.

Depending on the EF lens (try it in the store if you can) there maybe vignetting, any half decent camera store will let you take some shots with a demo SD card or something, just bring along some EF lenses :)

You know what you just woke my brain up there Smeg.. I kept thinking to myself mmm the camera and lens will be expensive then realized hang on I dont need a lens :) of course dur! just a t adapter and Im good to go. Get a lens later if I need to in fact save the money on the lens and get a filter with that instead. Boy.. these late nights are sapping the old gray matter. Well it should be fun having a go with my cousin Nikon when he comes over who knows I might be able to convert him to turn into an astrophotographer :p

i was on about my pantex lens :p i no every ones said about argos ect, but do you get good offers in jessops theres a massive store in cardiff by the capital building....

I got mine there, with a free tipod offer etc was the best price then, only because the offer in argos for the body only at 280 was web only and over lol

But I will buy my future ones on Amazon or Argos as they usually are MUCH cheaper than jessops, and you can get 3 year accident / warranty cover for 50 GBP (Jessops is 70 GBP).

How bad is Jessops prices? Their body only is the SAME price as their KIT (lens included) price, plus once they sell you a camera, they won't want to know you after, unless you are spending more money.

The last thing I bought in jessops (Today) was a 3 year accident cover for the camera I had to fight to get repaird (1 month old) under manufacturers warranty (because I was over 60 days for hte Amazon 50 GBP one), that will be the last money I give to Jessops.

Their repair center won't even look at the camera if they dont like the fault description. I had to step in find out who the repair center was, and talk to them myself, Jessop even today was gona charge me for the MANUACTURERS repair!, I said umm no :)

Archived