Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Couple of DSO sketches.

darrenbushnalluk

Finally some good weather for a few hours at least so went out with the 10 inch and Watec 120N+ with a focal reducer so working with a focal ratio of 2.9.

M27 was amazing with the Watec, full of detail, a real pleasure to sketch.

NGC 6894 the Diamond ring nebula was a surprise as it appeared on the monitor, a celestial polo mint! The central star wasn't seen but the 14th magnitude 'diamond' star was.

Cheers

Darren

post-24805-133877667678_thumb.jpg

post-24805-133877667681_thumb.jpg

Nice , getting the stars in the right place with the right scale takes a while doesnt it

It does, the monitor actually showed masses of much fainter stars probably going down to around 17th magnitude but it's just a physical impossibility to put them all in plus my Watec doesnt have a cooling device on it so some of the stars you see on the monitor will be hot pixels and you don't want to draw them in as stars.

They are great Darren, can I ask you what you used to sketch them?

Hi, I simply use good quality sketching paper bought from an art shop, its quite thick and has a slight grain which is good for showing texture, a soft pencil either 2B or perhaps a 5 or 6B depending what I'm drawing and a broad carbon dry stick which gives the effect of charcoal and I use a paper blending stump usually with the carbon stick. I got mine from WH Smiths, it's their own brand sketch set in a nice tin box and the other thing I use is a fine tipped hard nibbed pen in a 0.1mm size for drawing the stars.

darren

Hi, I simply use good quality sketching paper bought from an art shop, its quite thick and has a slight grain which is good for showing texture, a soft pencil either 2B or perhaps a 5 or 6B depending what I'm drawing and a broad carbon dry stick which gives the effect of charcoal and I use a paper blending stump usually with the carbon stick. I got mine from WH Smiths, it's their own brand sketch set in a nice tin box and the other thing I use is a fine tipped hard nibbed pen in a 0.1mm size for drawing the stars.

darren

Thanks for that Darren, have wanted to give it a go for a while now, I am a visual astronomer and do have some logs from over the past year or so but would like to complement them with something like this. :p

Will be paying a visit to Smiths at the weekend.

Best Wishes

These are fantastic Darren. M27 looks stunning and so full of detail. I've never heard of the diamond ring, so that's a new one on me.

These Watecs seem like just the job. Am I right in thinking you need a tracking set up for the scope to use it?

You do need tracking but no where near as accurate as imaging.

Archived