Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finderscope vs reflex findersight

Boils down to personal preference really, which unfortunately you won't know till you've tried both.

But, if you're observing from Wolverhampton, IMO a finderscope first as the number of stars to be seen without optical aid will be limited.

So star hopping with a reflex finder may prove problematical?

Most of the time I find a red dot type finder enough. Occasionally I add an optical one when I need to use faint stars to find the object. Usually the RDF plus a little scanning with a low power eyepiece does the trick though.

i would say finderscope first but as mentioned its a personal preferance. 9x50 is a good size and id reccomend getting a right angled one. looking straight up through a straight finder is a big pain in the neck.....literally!!

You can't really correct the image through a newtonian so you will need to get used to the inverted view I'm afraid. The corrector lenses and diagonals you use with refractors, maks and scts need more focus travel than newtonians provide.

Thats why I'm looking into getting a finderscope so I can find the object through that then track with my scope

I can see where you are coming from but bear in mind that many deep sky objects are too faint to be seen with even a 50mm finder - so you still have to star hop and pan systematically with the scope to find them.

Archived