Discount Cs3 on Win7 OK.

ollypenrice

I have a sense of this thread turning into a "who's got the best hardware and software" duel.

Let's have no derision directed towards anyone please.

People are entitled to their own view as they see it without having to endure criticism. If there has to be comparisons made, let's see some proof in the form of images produced, then perhaps more informed conclusions can be drawn.

Ron.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a sense of this thread turning into a "who's got the best hardware and software" duel.

Let's have no derision directed towards anyone please.

People are entitled to their own view as they see it without having to endure criticism. If there has to be comparisons made, let's see some proof in the form of images produced, then perhaps more informed conclusions can be drawn.

Ron.

Its not the tool that does the good images, it is the tool in the right hands that does the good images.

I'm curious how to spot non registered or non activated (Adobe requires activation now on all their products) software second hand.. Usually it is impossible to determine without checking the product ID with Adobe.

I'm curious how to spot non registered or non activated (Adobe requires activation now on all their products) software second hand.. Usually it is impossible to determine without checking the product ID with Adobe.

I guess sometimes you have to trust the seller and in my case it was a truthfull advert. Once installed, the registration went through with no problems and I have had full updates since.

I searched long enough for a genuine, unregistered, full version of PS and this one hit the mark. It even had the tutorials with it. :p

I'll dig out some of the stuff I do with CS3 when I get home from work but here's an example:

SAS-banner.jpg

I guess sometimes you have to trust the seller and in my case it was a truthfull advert. Once installed, the registration went through with no problems and I have had full updates since.

I searched long enough for a genuine, unregistered, full version of PS and this one hit the mark. It even had the tutorials with it. :p

I'll dig out some of the stuff I do with CS3 when I get home from work but here's an example:

SAS-banner.jpg

If it is an OEM bundled version technically selling it on is illegal and if they ever audit an OEM version that has no hardware, technically that probably could land you in trouble.

It is the same with Windows on a PC, technically it is part and parcel of the machine as it is OEM bundled. It would be like splitting CocaCola twin packs and selling individually in the store, big trouble if caught.

Again this also raises the issues I have with the cost of managing software licenses.

But I have the "hardware" in the form of the discs & paperwork in the original package. :p

OEM bundles as in if its bundled with a tablet, if you goty no tablet, then you will have a hard job explaining the validity of the license to the auditors ;)

Like Nero CD burning OEM version, bundled with CD/DVD RW's, no CD hardware writer? Good luck explaining the license to the auditors.

Windows OEM, no laptop with it? Good luck explaining that to the auditors, "technically legally according to their license" you aren't even allowed to remove it and put on your own retail version (which I do).

If you got the retail version, you are fine.

only problem i have with the gimp is it needs an x window to function on my mac, which does seem to slow it down (as its trying to be a windows program) and its just really awkard......

smeg..... just a courious question, as iv always liked the bambo tablets, (i always stare at them in the shops) whats the difference between it and the intuos. i used to own a trust tab, and it was horrid

Well, I've just done a reprocess of an earlier image but this time staying in 16 Bit all the way. It is impossible to recreate a direct comparator image because after hundreds of processing operations they are bound to diverge, but I think there are faint outer arms showing just above the background sky and I think that in my first process I missed these.

In any event the purpose of the thread was really just to say that the CS3 which Amazon say is for XP and Vista has loaded onto Win7 for me and works perfectly.

Olly

NGC6946, TEC140 and Altair Astro 115, Atik 4000 mono and OSC, HaLRGB.

NGC6946-REPROCESSED-X2.jpg

only problem i have with the gimp is it needs an x window to function on my mac, which does seem to slow it down (as its trying to be a windows program) and its just really awkard......

smeg..... just a courious question, as iv always liked the bambo tablets, (i always stare at them in the shops) whats the difference between it and the intuos. i used to own a trust tab, and it was horrid

Intuos4 has far more levels of nib pressure (has the bamboo got any pressure tracking?) useful for blending/masking etc etc, it has higher resolution tracking, replaceable tablet surfaces, pen angle tracking for brushes with variable geometry - it actually knows how you are holding the pen, programmable quick buttons and scroll wheel along with multiple uniquely identifiable pen types so you don't have to swap software tools when changing pens, it automatically detects when you are using a different pen type (or even the other end of the pen), buttons are configurable for independant processes/applications, and automatically swap between each one for each application in the foreground / in focus.

Now a Cintiq 21UX is a beast, I had one on order for months, but component shortages in Japan meant I had to cancel it and anyway they where bringing out a new LED backlit version with multitouch... So I am waiting on those currently.

A Trust tablet was my very first tablet, I didnt know any better but the fact it was a absolute positioning input surface just was awesome, but now I know better :p

I always recommend a LARGE tablet size as a minimum for any half serious work.

If you are doing logos, illustrations etc.. you should be using a vector/path based package (Corel Draw, Illustrator, Inkscape) not a bitmap package (such as photoshop/paint.net/Gimp etc) as you can scale your artwork without pixelation, as you are not working with pixels you are working with paths/curves and inking. Working with paths scares people usually as it is very different to working with pixels. However, once you get over that, it is far far more powerful ;)

PC World usually has Intuos's (Mediums sizes I think) on the shelf, go take a look there at them... If not there, maybe an art supply place if they are large enough... But don't pay PC World prices lol, go to Amazon or Expansys etc..

Hi Smeg.

You sound like you are very knowledgeable with regard to processing, and, naturally, I was looking forward to seeing some of your astrophotography, but couldn't find any.....do you have a link to your site?

Cheers

Rob

Archived