Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How close to the sun?

Demonperformer

This is a question for all you daylight observers.

When you are observing objects during the day that are close to the sun (thinking Mercury, Venus, new(ish) moon here) how close to the sun is it safe to observe? I have a goto scope, so there should not be any problem getting to the object, but I have been wondering about 'glare' in the vicinity of the sun. After all, when the moon is bright at night, I can see a glow in the e/p when several degrees away from it.

So how close to the sun do you think is safe to observe?

[Actually, I will probably be using my webcam rather than visual, but I am thinking how close people will observe visually will provide a nice margin of safety for a daylight-beginner.]

Thanks.

I usually position myself in shadow, so that there is no possibility of any silly accidents. I estimate around 15-20 degrees from the Sun is as close as I have dared to venture. As you are using goto, then you could get to about 10 degrees, but the glare of the Sun might wash out anything you are looking for.

Thanks to you both for the responses.

Moon is 15 deg from the sun tomorrow morning, so will give it a go if it is clear. Will have to give some thought to a means of screening off the sun - good idea, had not really considered it, but had thought that any 'searching' would have to be done away from the sun rather than towards it!

Archived