NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

10 x 5 minutes ISO 800 vs 5 x 10 minutes ISO 400

bamus

Hi All

Finally got my guiding setup working and I can choose whatever exposure time I want J I have done test session last Sunday and was shooting M31. Have done 10 x 5 minutes subs at ISO 800, but after processing in DSS and Gimp I was less than satisfied with the results due to huge amount of noise.

I was wandering if I would get better results using 10 minutes subs subs but with lower 400 ISO. Not sure if it will change anything. Total sub time will be same as in 10 x 5 minutes subs, ISO 400 will produce less noise (not sure about that as I will be using twice as long exposure time), but I will have only 5 subs, and stacking will not reduce noise as much as 10 subs stacking.

I will try to do some tests, but perhaps someone has done it before, or got knowledge how noise increases/decreases in different ISO/Time settings.

And almost forgot to mention, my camera is canon 1000D

Best regards

Adam

At 10 x 5 minute subs at ISO800 your image will still be noisy. You should be able to arrive at a good result with 5 minute subs at ISO800, but you need many more of them - so far this just adds up to 50 minutes of data. Ideally you need to be aiming for about 4 hours of data. This will dramatically increase the signal and reduce the noise.

There's nothing wrong with ten minute subs but you run the risk of losing more subs through guiding errors/satellite trails/ plane trails. Not so bad to write off a 5 minute sub but annoying to have to write offr a ten minute sub.

Regards

John

The answer depends on the quality of sky you have.

Why? because the golden rule is "read error must be small compared to shot-noise of background sky" for each sub.

If your sky is very dark (or you use narrowband filters) that shot-noise will be very low so you will need a longer exposure to overcome the read error.

Additionally, read error changes at different gain settings (ISO settings, that is). So does the dynamic range.

That makes it quite complicated.

But don't worry, your exposures are usually limited by your tracking accuracy. Aim for 5 minutes (I don't think you are shooting narrowband). And keep ISO to 800, look at the subs and check if the bits you want to capture accurately are saturated. If they are, go to ISO400. If not, you could try ISO 1600. I avoid 1600, myself, but others like it.

Archived