Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DSLR Mods

Hi, I'm interested to perhaps astro-mod my DSLR if it's possible to get a filter for it. What I'm worried about is is this a permanent change? I still use my camera for video making and photography of a non-astronomical nature. I don't want to mess this up...

Any ideas? It's a Canon 550D.

Many thanks,

Piers

Hi Andy,

Thanks for that link, very interesting reading. I think I'd need to get a professional to do that work. I seem to recall seeing somewhere a filter that clicks into the lens mount, but I may be going crazy. Of course again that would only work if the sensor filter were removed first!

Piers,

You're right, I wouldn't dare start to take my EOS apart! Might be worth looking on places like Ebay for second hand camera bodies, I'm going to try that and fit a peltier cooler... while I'm about it think I might replace the filter too!

Do plenty of reading about which cameras are easiest to mod as well, the 1000D is apparently a much easier mod than some of the older ones (like my 20D for instance).

I have self modded a 1000D using the Gary Honis method, so long as you are methodical and on a dust free day ie post rain is good... then it is quite doable - took me less than 2 hrs inc tea breaks.

Archived