Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Camping star party's near London?

MissClio

Hi all,

I live in South East London and just wondering if there are any star party's coming up in 2011? I drive and would be willing to travel up to an hour by car.

Me and my sister have both been camping a few times before, does a star party differ that much from normal camping?

We are also both newbies to star gazing, will we look like **** as the only equipment we own is a set of binoculars each? lol :)

Hi

The main difference between 'normal' camping and star parties are the requests regarding lights. Use red light torches after dark and keep localised light pollution to a minimum. These and other star party requirements can be found on the following link: Spring Star Party.

As for SPs in the area I think there might be one in the Kent area but maybe other SGLers can confirm this.

The main difference between 'normal' camping and star parties are the requests regarding lights. Use red light torches after dark and keep localised light pollution to a minimum.

And there was me thinking it was having plenty of other like minded people to moan about the weather with and drown your sorrows with if it turns out cloudy! :glasses2:

You might want to try this... http://stargazerslounge.com/astro-events/156449-essex-astro-starfest-2011-a.html

The Orpington Astronomical society go regularly to Astro camps in SE Kent. Get onto their website and get chatting with them.

Mzny of the people who go to the camp are imagers so not a lot of telescopes to look through, but if I'm going I could bring a spare.

Carole

Archived