Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Synscan with Equinox Pro- help required

buzz

I have just bought a NEQ6 and use OSX for my astronomy. I have not been able to connect Equinox Pro planetarium software to it through a USB to serial adaptor which is then plugged into the Synscan handset. I have proved the hardware works with EQMAC and EQMAC with Stellarium - which happily slewed and sync'd.

Has anyone got this combination working....or does it require direct communication with a USB to UART connection? I have tried using the Nexstar GPS setting, Nexstar and Meade basic. Equinox pro is working with my LX200.

Any clues will be appreciated

Chris

Hi - to answer the questions, I'm using OSX, not Windows in Bootcamp, so I assume I do not need Eqmod, which is a PC program. The serial adaptor is the Keyspan HS, recommended by Equinox Pro, which as you quite rightly point out can be a sticky point. This is supposed to be the best. I have others I can try too. Since the hardware chain works with EQMAC, then clearly the hardware is capable - ( I didn't get it to work with Stellarium on it's own, only with EQMAC running too.) I need to do some more digging. Keep the ideas coming!

Chris

Buzz apparently the guy who wrote the software is very helpful so if you are still having issues send him an e-mail. Vulcan will no doubt be able to sort you out when he's about which is often. Also no need for Ascom drivers, have used the software myself just didn't get on with it.

.... The serial adaptor is the Keyspan HS, recommended by Equinox Pro, which as you quite rightly point out can be a sticky point. This is supposed to be the best. I have others I can try too. Since the hardware chain works with EQMAC, then clearly the hardware is capable - ( I didn't get it to work with Stellarium on it's own, only with EQMAC running too.) I need to do some more digging. Keep the ideas coming!

Chris

Ahh. I too use the Keyspan one with no problems, have you got the most recent drivers suitable for the version of OS X you are using.

Sorry if you've already checked all this... :)

(EDIT: Regarding which option to pick I use "NexStar 5 Old")

James

• 2 weeks later...
The suggestion from Equinox's Darryl is to use Nextstar GPS setting. hmmm tried that already... back to double checking everything.

Chris

After winding everyone up - thought I had better post the answer to my own issue: If you are using Equinox Pro, do not use the PC Direct mode to connect to Equinox Pro or Stellarium (stand alone). Only use PC direct mode if you are using EQMAC or (EQMOD). I intend to document all these mac related Q&A's in a handy reference for others. Oh, and by the way, the FTD USB<>UART cable worked just fine, but only with EQMAC.

Next goal, general rigidity, backlash, alignment and calibration. I think I hear an ash tree being felled in Germany....http://stargazerslounge.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

Archived