NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ey up

EA2007

How do lad/s . Tow s nearly in that Teeside place ? . Cleveland hills look to be nice and dark. I'm from a 'slightly' light polluted bit of West Yorkshire ( near 't moors) but I know Great Ayton well (and Suggitts Ice Cream !!) . If memory serves me right the local brew is Camerons (or it's gone now and I'm showing my age?)

Can you reccomend any good/darkish camp sites up there in Cleveland/North York Moors for astro ?

One place I have thoughts of trying is the Snooty Fox Campsite @ East Heslerton (on't Scarborough Rd ) . Pub on site and a few 'Motel' rooms as well as the campsite .

Angrove Park looks interesting (they look to have 'Pods' too ) Angrove Park , Stokesley Campsites, North Yorkshire

Right as I've lived here nearly all my life then here's a list

Good sites:

North York Moors, preferably the lower section between York and Scarborough, around Pickering and Hutton-Le-Hole. Yorkshire Dales, past Richmond, up towards Hawes etc. These places are furthest from the highlights of Harrogate, York, Leeds, Darlington, Middlesbrough.

Second best would be any other area thats 10 miles or so from a major area, so Northallerton and around is okay, Thirsk, Richmond, Osmotherley, Whitby, then anywhere in between.

I'm near Northallerton and even thoguh theres the glow of orange from the town, during summer you can always make out the Milky Way if its clear. Its quite good to be honest.

good evening all.

i'm from york, i do a lot of observing just out side of york, its not that bad there but i have to second going up onto the moors i try get the odd trip up to hutton-le hole, or the hole of horcum, not as often as i used to, as i'm doing more imaging now it gets harder to carry all the gear i need out there. the down side to both of these places is you know dam well as soon as you get dark adapted a car is going to come passed.

glen.

My name is Ed.

Be up for some observing sometime, its not that difficult for me to make somewhere around Easingwold / Sutton bank etc for all you York lot :p

Looking to do some more Jupiter work when its a bit higher, but now were getting early nights then its alright. My view to the east isn't low enough so a field or flat area would be good.

i would be up for going out to somewhere to observe but i am rushed of my feet just now i was wanting to plan a trip onto the moors somewhere when i get back from kielder star party. i'm thinking of going to have a look for a good site after the star party at sutton bank on saturday.

glen

• 5 weeks later...

I'm between Pickering and Scarborough, back yard observing is pretty good as the milky way can be seen quite clearly from late September onwards. Southward views are a bit of a wash-out near the horizon due to the A64.

I'm afraid I am a lazy astronomer so tend to stick to my own back yard, plus I don't have travel cases for my shiny equipment so don't want to risk damaging them in the boot on the bumpy roads around here until I have something proper to put them in. I would take my ST80 out to a local viewpoint in the forest but I don't think it would be worth the effort to be honest, I can probably see all that I can with that from my back yard. Might go one night anyway just to see what's visible in binocs.

• 3 weeks later...

I am in Knaresborough - happy to meet up anywhere around Yorkshire and if anyone lives close by then happy to pick up also.

If any meets are being organised please drop me a line.

Best wishes,

Steve

• 8 months later...

Hi, i know this thread getting on a bit but i just had to 2nd EA2007's post..." Yorkshire Dales, past Richmond, up towards Hawes "

I live right in the middle of the dales and we get some great skys here. I would urge any one nearby to pack ya scope and visit.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I now have a suitable box to put my shiny 8SE in, so travel would not be too difficult now, though I still need to sort out my battery situation as the ones I have are just wimpy cheap lead-acid Maplins specials.

Archived