Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A question about the skywatcher heritage 130 flextube

A lot of people seem to tout this as a great starter scope, and it's one that i have been considering. The only thing i'm concerned about is the "flextube" feature.

I'l be travelling to my dark sky area so i need a relatively portable scope, so this feature seems great at first, but i am just curious, wouldn't it affect colimination? Would i need to recoliminate every time i packed up/transported/set up? Obviously the construction will be sturdy, but wear and tear will surely loosen things up over time.

Anybody have any experience with this scope?

I have had this scope for a couple of months and brought it in the car to a dark-site at a couple of occasions. Only had to collimate it after delivery but not since. I checked a couple of days ago and perhaps there was a slight misalignment but it was so small that it could very well have been there since my original collimation.

The design seems kind of robust to me but of course I can't really say how it will look three years from now if I use it every week.

Provided you are not bouncing it around, it will be fine. I used to sit mine on the back seat and secure it with a seat belt. Have carried it by hand to a dark site on public footpaths without problems.

Chris

Archived