Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Strange EQ6 behaviour

scoobymike

Last night my mount was very well aligned - it slewed to pretty much everything and got it right in the centre of the EP. Alignment was pretty much spot on too, needing very minor adjustments to centre the 3 alignment stars.

My only problem was getting the planets... Jupiter is obviously naked eye, but the mount went nowhere near it, nor could I see any others when I tried slewing (so guessing they were nowhere near either).

I'm pretty sure the handset has been set correctly - ie daylight saving yes, position is accurate, time and date in correct format etc.

Any ideas anyone, as I'm a little confused... :(

Did the mount to a meridain flip as you looked at different targets? An alignment is usually only valid on one side of the meridian. If the mount does a flip I usually find I have to re-align to get good accuracy. And triple check the entries on the handset. You could try EQMOD on a PC to control the mount if you suspect the handset.

Ok, have checked the hand set against stellarium, and it appears that the handset has a slight discrepancy, although I have no idea whether this is just a system discrepancy, or whether it points to my problem.

Currently Jupiter reads from the hand set 2hr 31.7 -13.68'

Stellarium reads 2hrs 31 +13.5

Note the difference between - and +...

As I have no idea which is RA, and which is Dec, or whether this difference equates to what I saw last night, I'm lost!

Last night the scope seemed to be pointing further North - 30 degrees tops (which I'm guessing is dec), and slightly lower (RA?!) although less sure about this one.

Is there a way to reset the hand set? Or re-train it?

Thanks in advance

Hi,

It's version 3.12 I was wondering about upgrading it, but have no idea how to do it (got the mount 2nd hand and no instructions), or whether I have the right cable (I only have the handset to mount cable currently).

Is it possible to re-set the controller?

Sounds like you need to upgrade!

You can get the upgrade cable a serial to handcontroller, the same as you use to connect the handcontroller to your PC...you may need a USB-Serial adaptor ( I use KEYSPAN).

Down load the necessary software from the skywatcher site... takes less than five minutes...I'm sure the latest V3.27 must correct these issues....

Hi,

Yes, the date is set correctly. What I have found is rather interesting though...

I am using firmware version 3.12 (the latest is 3.27), and in the release notes it talks about correcting an issue where +ve and -ve can get swapped when the latitude input (ie observing location) is less than 1 degree. (I think, can't remember and now can't find it either!).

The up-shot of it all is that I am going to have to upgrade the hand controller. Once I've bought an upgrade cable of course!

Thanks to all for your replies, I'll let you know how I get on once it's done,

Archived