Continuing alignment problems :(

Using 2 star alignment on a SynScan goto system. One (probably stupid) question. Before doing anything else do I have to manually raise the altitude of the mount to match my northern coordinate e.g as my N is 52 degrees, do I incline the mount using the manual bolts to the sane figure, and then turn on the goto unit and begin the alignment process?

If you've got an equatorial mount, then yes, the polar alignment (getting the mount pointing at the celestial north pole, which can be done by pointing the mount north and setting the altitude to your latitude) should be the first thing you do. You'll be able to get this even more accurate if you add a polar scope to your mount.

Yes - You need to be able to see polaris to do the polar alignment procedure. If you are imaging this will be essential - however if just observing a rough alignment will be fine.

Set the mount pointing magnetic North and the Altitude scale to your latitude and you'll be able to track in RA with little tweaks in Dec now and again :(

hi as kim was saying (brantuk) there is a difference between a rough alignment and a super good alignment for imaging , setting the mount facing north and you latitude to 52 will be a "rough alignment " then put scope in polar home position (arrows lined up on ra and dec axis) and align as per instructions , usually a two star job lol !! , this will be fine for visual use , just a little tweek on the up and down keys to center the object occasionally . :(

hi as kim was saying (brantuk) there is a difference between a rough alignment and a super good alignment for imaging , setting the mount facing north and you latitude to 52 will be a "rough alignment " then put scope in polar home position (arrows lined up on ra and dec axis) and align as per instructions , usually a two star job lol !! , this will be fine for visual use , just a little tweek on the up and down keys to center the object occasionally . :(

Ok excuse my ignorance again but what do you mean by lining the arrows up on the RA and DEC axis?

I am going to be imaging soon so I think my inability to polar align is going to lead to another thread on here soon!

Thanks for your help so far guys, much appreciated

Archived