Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Need help to asses EP kit from Celestron.

albusdlx

I have this in front of me on the computer.

Its in swedish, but the words are pretty much the same.

Is it **** or not? There are Barlows that costs as much. 600kr is £57 or $90.

I´m a total noob. Should I buy this set or should I be patient and buy 1 thing at a time?

If I understand this right, it´s a kit from Celestron.

You would think it´s a good price and not crappy parts. :(

I've never used that set but one of the eyepieces is a Kellner which will not work well with your scope I think. Probably better to buy one or two GSO plossls to go with the ones that come with your scope. In the UK you can get those for around £25 each.

I do not think that is a good set to start with, it is not comprehensive, and I would avoid the Kelner, you'll get sharper views with plossl's. Best to buy ep's individually to suit your needs at the longer focal lengths first, then see where you go from there, not everyone uses colour filters, I have a full set and don't like using them, instead I have gone for nebula filters (UHC and OIII) instead, but this is tailored to my viewing preferences, you would be best to consider your own viewing preferences to start with, rather than buying a set, but I can see where you are coming from.

Sold what to you ? - the camera, the scope or the eyepiece ?

What we see with our eyes through scopes rarely compares with the images that CCD's can produce, unfortunately :(

The EP. Super Plossl 10mm.

As you say.

The pictures rarely matches the quality of what the eye can see. That tells me that the EP is really good.

My logic might be stained. But it sounds logical to me. :)

While I actually can speak and read/write many languages, including Swedish, I am too lazy so there is the link :(

Google Translate

är du svensk, bor i sverige?

I keep hearing that Revelation EP kits are better than Celestron EP kits.

I ordered myself a revelation EP kit over the celestron, as bascially Celestron is Skywatcher and SW is not known for being "high quality" at the low end whereas Revelation is.

That tells me that the EP is really good. My logic might be stained. But it sounds logical to me. :(

I think your logic may be strained here to be honest. Without knowing lots more details of how that photo was produced I'm not sure it says anything about the quality of the eyepiece, if the eyepiece was actually used in taking the image, which it might not have been.

Fortunately though, the moon looks impressive through virtually any scope / eyepiece combination :)

I think your logic may be strained here to be honest. Without knowing lots more details of how that photo was produced I'm not sure it says anything about the quality of the eyepiece, if the eyepiece was actually used in taking the image, which it might not have been.

Fortunately though, the moon looks impressive through virtually any scope / eyepiece combination :(

The photo is taken from a Swedish site that sells astro equipment, I clicked on a link "Photos taken with this equipment." :)

That was the 10mm super plossl.

But to be fair. I am new to this game. There is alot to learn.

Any whooo.

I put out an order for the Skywatcher Super Plossl 7.5mm and

a Omni Barlow 2x. Should arrive soon. Next week sometime.

Albusdlx, your choices of 7.5mm and Omni Barlow are a shrewd start,but don't go too far down the magnification range. You will already be at your theoretical optimum max with the 7.5mm IMO. Plus I believe the f/ratio is f/5 on your scope. Take it easy.

Albusdlx, your choices of 7.5mm and Omni Barlow are a shrewd start,but don't go too far down the magnification range. You will already be at your theoretical optimum max with the 7.5mm IMO. Plus I believe the f/ratio is f/5 on your scope. Take it easy.

Yes, you are right about that.

Next I was thinking about a 32mm EP.

The barlow is not for the 7.5mm.

Many have warned me not to be fixated on magnification.

I just want a wide variety of choices :)

The 32mm is a nice focal length in my scope but not sure how it would fare in the 130EQ, a 25mm might be a safer bet, though I realise your scope came with a 20mm. I would recommend trying a 32mm first before buying 'cause I don't know how it will work with your central obstruction. I know it works well in my 200P, but I don't know about the 130 aperture as I have not tried it.

Hi,

The 32mm EP that came with my Celestron kit is my most-used, and therefore perhaps my favourite, EP with my Astromaster 130EQ. It has transformed my ability to point at the right area of the sky before zooming in with other EPs.

What exactly is meant by "how it will work with your central obstruction"? Some kind of shadow of the secondary??? I have not seen anything strange or unexpected!

dag123

Hi, the 32mm Celestron plossl is a superb ep, sharp to the edge and good contrast. A 32mm is also my most used ep. I was concerned about the shadow of the secondary as I had not tried the 32mm in a smaller aperture before. If it works with the 130EQ this is great as it is a brilliant ep and a good choice.

Archived