Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What was it?

andyc277

While i was walking the dog this evening (the very activity that got me to delve further into looking to the night sky) i saw a very bright light above me that then dimmed significantly but didnt disappear for quite a while. its not the first time ive seen said object, last time south to north, this time east towest Always travelling ona steady heading. Magnitude was brighter than jupiter. I suspect it to be a satellite but cant find any sites that match up. It occured at 2052BST in North Yorkshire, quite close to Leeming Bar. Any ideas?

I think it was an Iridium flare (Iridium 7) visible at -1.1 mag here at 20:50:53, so you are correct. I missed that one but caught a later one, Iridium 20 :)

Watch for the brighter ones during the day, they are stunning to see and, I would guess, a cause of a lot of UFO sightings!

I saw my first Irridium flare last night around 22:30. I was out in my back garden with my 15x70s waiting for my eyes to dark adapt when I saw a bright light near Vega. It faded out of naked eye view within a couple of seconds but I managed to pick it up using the binos and follow it past the summer triangle. I have seen many satellites from my back garden, but this was the first time I've seen one flare - it was great :)

Archived