NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Motor (or auto) focus upgrade suggestions

I'm happy enought with my current setup for now, but I lack two things:

1) An observatory - that will have to wait at the moment

2) Automated focus

I can grab my setup from the shed, move it to somewhere in the garden, connect up all the cables and polar align the mount in about 10 minutes. The mount is connected to a netbook and controlled with EQMOD.

At this point, I would like to retire indoors and continue remotely over WiFI - however I have to focus first. Before I can focus, I have to lock on to a bright star, and before I can do that, I have to do a star alignment. I do this by plate solving - tell the mount to go where a star should be (it usually isn't), take a picture in rough focus, upload it to astrometry and then use the result to align the mount. Repeat x3 minimum. I then go to a bright star and focus using a Bahtinov mask - though I have noticed that I get it spot on using FWHM in software. This can take 20-30 minutes (or more, if I get sidetracked somewhere).

If I had a motorised focuser, I could retreat inside much earlier. This will become important as the weather gets cooler.

What motirised focuser (and/or automatic focus program) would anyone suggest for my Equinox 80 / Equinox 120? I'm not that bothered about a complete replacedment focuser, as mine is quite good - I would be happy to just upgrade the present one to motorsed control.

Why not just use the SW electronic motor on your current focuser? You can then add the FCusb (Shoestring) to allow you to control it via USB remotely??

The Shoestring Astronomy Store - Focus Motor Control Products

I use(d) this on my Meade SCT #1209 focuser for a while and now I'm thinking of adding a similar SW motor to the feathertouch micro on the C11 to automate focus...

They come with two brackets now, but even if the supplied bracket doesn't fit its easy to knock one up. I'm a numpty on these things but I made one for my WO scope with some aluminium from B&Q, a standard drill, and a file. It works fine!

Helen

Unfortunately neither of the brackets fit the Equinox after all. One looked as if it might, but the gaps between the screws are completely wrong.

This part, made for the Orion scopes, does look like it might fit though - why don't Skywatcher brand it?

Orion Telescopes: Orion AccuFocus-to-Dual Speed Focuser Bracket

Here are the supplied ones, in case anyone else was thinking about it:

post-17510-133877662389_thumb.jpg

post-17510-133877662394_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived