Celestron FirstScope 76

While I am saving for a better telescope I would like to gain the maximum enjoyment from my Celestron FirstScope 76. I understand from reading here and other places that the most cost effective way to do this is to invest in better quality eyepieces.

I was thinking of getting two EP and a 2x barlow. I would like them to be transferable when I buy my next scope. Does this sound reasoable for the FirstScope 76 (focal length of 300mm):-

25mm giving 12x and 24x

and

10mm giving 30x and 60x

Also where can I buy eyepieces, what brand etc? I am not expecting a huge improvement as the scope is small.

I could go smaller with the 10mm to say 5mm giving 60x and 120x. Would this be useable however?

I would have thought that these focal lengths already came with your scope? If not then Plossl ep'e are a good start, though I would recommend the 32mm Plossl to begin with, remember, magnification is not everything. The 32mm gives you a good quality image and a good wide field. 10mm is a good choice for medium magnificaton and with a barlow at 5mm you will be near the maximum useful magnification for your scope.

Thanks for the advice so far. The scope came with a SR4.0mm (unuseable other than at the moon but even then the 20mm gives a nicer view) and a H20mm.

I think I will go with the 32mm and 10mm. Would the cheapest Skywatcher SP Plossl EPs from the forum sponsor be ok as an inexpensive upgrade?

Could anyone recommend a cheap barlow that is satisfactory?

Hi, the SW SP Plossls from FLO would be a good upgrade to what you already have, the 32mm and the 10mm would be a good choice. If you can get it the Tal 2x Barlow is a good buy, but I understand from other posts on this forum that many retailers are currently out of stock.

If you are going to buy the SW 150P, this comes with 25mm and 10mm EPs and a Barlow lens so you will have duplicates! Surely you'd be better of saving the money now so that you can get the 150P sooner?

These are wise words , and ones I would follow.

If you are going to buy the SW 150P, this comes with 25mm and 10mm EPs and a Barlow lens so you will have duplicates! Surely you'd be better of saving the money now so that you can get the 150P sooner?

I get paid monthly so I anticipate saving enough by the start of November, by buying these now the time scale will not change.

Duplication is not ideal and something I did not think about to be honest before ordering. Doh!

The FirstScope I got for £39 10 days ago (I have enjoyed my experience so far!). I thought it would be a usefull learning tool for a couple of months and to get the most from it I thought a few more better quality EP would be helpfull (reading from most peoples experience with the FirstScope).

Fortunately I have not gone all out on the EPs and the Barlow so I will not be hugely out of pocket and get some immediate gain.

I have often found that EP's and extras usually cost more than the scope. I agree the 25mm might be a safer bet, didn't realize that would happen in a smaller focal length scope, lucky you pointed that out. Also found the f/ratio is <4, sorry!

Archived