Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ5 Synscan or HEQ5 Pro

Slim

I'm looking to upgrade to a Skywatcher Explorer 200p with the intention of eventually getting into imaging. Are people able to give me their thoughts on the best mount of the two above to go for and why?

HEQ5 -

I have both. I purchased the 200P / EQ5 goto combo and whilst it's a fantastic scope and mount, it lacks the stability for long exposure guided imaging. The 200P is right on the limit for the EQ5 in respects of load capacity, and as I wanted to try guiding chose to upgrade the mount a few months after I originally purchased the scope.

The HEQ5 also offers better precision as the motors have twice the amount of resolution (more steps). I would suggest you opt for the HEQ5 /200P. You could opt for the syntrek version and then use a PC or laptop and free software (EQMOD) to control the scope by a simple to build cable. If you ever wanted to go to full goto I have a spare handset up for grabs :)

Hi Slim,

Going the same route as Malcolm...:)

Currently I have a EQ5 synscanGoto.

Which has been great for visual work.

But now I have a Canon DSLR 1100D and slowly getting into imaging.

With the 200P,max weight is already reached on the EQ5 :(

So next week,I am ordering a HEQ5 pro Syntrek.

Already use EQMOD with a EQDIR adaptor for GOTO.So I do not need to pay the extra for full Synscan GOTO......:)

Wayne

Honestly if you want to image with a 200p and are looking to do long exposures I'd go for an eq6! My 200p with ccd,filter wheel, guider and all the gubbins weighed in at 12kg the mount limit is 15kg but that is for visual observing. Rule thumb says a maximum weight of half the mounts load capacity for imaging.

matt

Honestly if you want to image with a 200p and are looking to do long exposures I'd go for an eq6! My 200p with ccd,filter wheel, guider and all the gubbins weighed in at 12kg the mount limit is 15kg but that is for visual observing. Rule thumb says a maximum weight of half the mounts load capacity for imaging.

matt

Thanks for the tip Matt. Far too much to consider!

Well it breaks down into: mount, tripod, and weights. The mount block is the heaviest part but it only needs popping onto some foam padding in the boot. Just watch your back as you lift it. The other two bits are much easier. It's not exactly grab and go, but is nonetheless portable :)

(my dark site is 20miles up the road too and I'd hapily take it up there every weekend).

Well it breaks down into: mount, tripod, and weights. The mount block is the heaviest part but it only needs popping onto some foam padding in the boot. Just watch your back as you lift it. The other two bits are much easier. It's not exactly grab and go, but is nonetheless portable :)

(my dark site is 20miles up the road too and I'd hapily take it up there every weekend).

Doesn't sound too bad then. Got a C5 Tourer with a big boot that you can raise or lower on the hydraulic suspension and I set up the scope literally 6 feet away from the boot. So minimal lifting required.

Archived