NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

where do i go from here?

Just to give a little background to my question:

I recently purchaced a Canon 1000d and hava all the bits i need to attatch it to the scope plus a cable release.

Tonight i set up the scope and was racing against the cloud, the scope was not properly polar aligned but i pointed the scope to the rough area of the ring nebula and amazingly managed to get the following results. ISO 400 and exposures 10 seconds and 20 seconds.

Can i realisticly expect to acheive better results with the mount that i have or do i need to think about upgrading if i wish to persue imaging DSO`S?

I should point out that i am a complete novice to imaging DSO`S.

Thanks.

Mark.

post-20855-133877659281_thumb.jpg

post-20855-133877659288_thumb.jpg

First of all, well done finding M57.

As for where to go next, if you're able to leave the mount out for longer periods of time, (maybe get a cover from Green Witch - they're quite good), you might be able to reduce the trailing by improving your mount's alignment. Once you can tune out a little more of the trailing (you really want to be able to expose for a minute or two at least), then your next step would be to start firing off lots of identical exposures, incorporating calibration frames, and stacking things accordingly in something like DSS.

This is your first attempt, and is far better than many first attempts (particularly my own). I reckon you can get plenty more out of the equipment you're using. The only thing I'd suggest you consider purchasing would be a copy of Steve Richards' Making Every Photon Count, which I'm sure you've seen mentioned around here, and really is every bit as good as people say.

Look forward to seeing more results soon, Mark.

For a first go I think that is excellent. I agree with the advice that Mark has given. Get practiced at polar aligning and take many subs.

I've had a little play with your image, I hope you don't mind. I was able to some extent to reduce the trailing with Focus Magic but it is much better to not have it there in the first place. There is more detail than initially apparent.

Dave

post-14654-133877661556_thumb.jpg

Thanks Mark and Dave. Sound advice from you both.

The truth is that i was probably a bit hasty when posting this and asking for advice when i had not even consdidered trying to align the mount properly. I was so happy and almost excited ( even at 41 years old!:() to have captured anything at all.

Having calmed down a bit :), and thought it through and read your helpful comments, i do beleive that i should with some patience and perseverence be able to manage to capture some better images.

Just one other thing. Is there a thread or threads giving pointers to imaging with a DSLR?

Many thanks.

Mark.

Dave, your re-processed image is a great improvement, thanks.

From a motorised EQ5, and my own experiences with a 200P, you will definitely be able to get 90 second subs with a 20% ditch rate from that mount. If you're using an slr rather than a scope, youll get longer.

Thanks for that, at least i have an idea of realistic expectations from my kit.

Thanks Mark and Dave. Sound advice from you both...

Happy to help. By the way, when I finished with "Look forward to seeing more results soon, Mark." I was calling you Mark, not signing off as Mark. I should have been clearer. My name is Robin. :(

Archived