NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Moonlite CR2

Andrew

I got my new Moonlite focuser a couple of days ago (thanks Steve) so I thought I’d write this mini review.

It’s a Newtonian CR2 with tri-knob and is replacing the standard rack and pinion unit on my Orion Optics dob.

I don’t need to comment on many aspects of the Moonlite because there’s not much to add to what you’ll already know – it looks amazing and has an incredibly smooth action. So, below are just a few comments on other issues.

I got the version with the new universal install kit, extra spacers and slightly longer draw tube. The options on the Moonlite are such that it offers real flexibility in terms of putting together a system that suits your individual setup. I now have just the right amount of draw tube travel so I no longer need to clamp eyepieces further out than they should be to reach focus. Also, the Universal install kit makes fitting a piece of cake. There is no need to drill your OTA, so I had the old focuser off and the Moonlite on in its place in under 30 minutes.

As you’d expect, the Moonlite is rock solid with absolutely no play as you move the draw tube in and out. That’s a huge difference to my Orion Optics rack and pinion unit which tended to waggle around like a sail blowing in the wind! One of the real payoffs is that collimation of the secondary is now possible (I do this using a laser and it was not easy with the old focuser since the laser dot wafted all round the primary with the slightest movement of anything). Having collimated the scope last night before viewing for a couple of hours I have discovered that the pre-Moonlite collimation must have been off a bit. This didn’t seem to have much effect on my Pentax XW 10mm ep (it doesn’t seem to matter what you subject the Pentax to, it always produces pinpoint stars). However, I also have a set of Meade 5000 SWA eps which had previously shown some flaring of stars in the outer parts of the FOV. I’ve been toying with the idea of a coma corrector. However, with the Moonlite and a recollimated scope the Meades are producing much tighter stars so the coma corrector may not be worth it.

Other big advantages with the Moonlite compared to my old focuser include the brass compression rings on both the 2” and 1.25” adapter which provide a lovely solid and smooth grip for eps, and the ease of moving from 2” to 1.25” eps ~ it takes seconds with the Moonlite whereas previously it had involved much unclamping/unscrewing which was a real pain. I think the tri-knob option was worth the extra money since it is very convenient to have high and low rotation rates within easy reach, having said which I am so impressed by the smooth action of the unit that I wonder if the dual focus rate is really essential? I certainly found it 1000% easier to get a nice sharp focus without resorting to the fine focus knob than I had with my OO focuser. I guess the fine focus will come into its own at high powers (when seeing permits).

Overall, it’s a beauty and worth every penny (even if there were quite a few of them).

Andrew,

I've just fitted the CR1 model to my newt and have to agree with everything you say. Very nicely engineered, easy to fit, feels smooth and the compression rings on both the 2" and 1.25" adaptor are a real bonus. :D

I have taken the opportunity to strip and regrease my old rack and pinion but the movement is still very "coarse" by comparison.

Steve called shortly after delivery to mention that he was now selling quite a few of these for newt owners (previously it was mainly SCT's). He has been made aware that you may need to alter the spacer adaptor if you switch back and forth from imaging to visual observations. I won't attempt to explain as I am sure I will make a pigs ear of it. I expect Steve will explain when he has more info. 8)

Cheers

Bill£

P.S Thank you Steve for your after sales call 8). I can't imagine many other suppliers taking the time to do that especially when he was about to go off for Easter Hol's. :D

Andrew,

I have yet to get to try mine out (entertaining relatives over Easter and now they have gone it's cloudy :D)

It might be particularly the CR1 or perhaps Steve knows you don't do photography? Best if I let Steve explain it to you though :?

Bill£

Steve called shortly after delivery to mention that he was now selling quite a few of these for newt owners (previously it was mainly SCT's). He has been made aware that you may need to alter the spacer adaptor if you switch back and forth from imaging to visual observations.

The Moonlite installation kit includes a 1/2 inch curve base-plate (to suit tube diameter) plus a 1 inch spacer to give a height of 1.5 inch. The focuser itself has a thickness of 1.45" and the standard draw-tube is 2" in length. This achieves a min height of about 2.95 inches and a racked out height of approx 4.95 inches. If more in-focus is required, the 1 inch spacer can be substituted for a 1/2 inch or removed altogether. For more out-focus, an extra spacer can be inserted or a focus-extender used.

A Moonlite can be ordered with a slim spacer so that it can be mounted low for imaging and a longer draw-tube to enable enough out-focus for awkward wide-field / long focal-length eyepieces. But, this isn't a popular option as the draw-tube can intrude into the light path when racked fully in. (Its this last point that caught me off-guard :roll:).

I have phoned everyone who has purchased a CR1/CR2 to say that I can supply an extra spacer 'free of charge' if necessary.

On my own scope, I shall mount it low enough for imaging and pop in a focus-extender for observing.

Hope that makes sense :D

PS: Nice report Andrew 8)

• 2 weeks later...

Yep I got my CR2 from Steve a few weeks ago, and to say he has bent over backwards is an understatement. I will do a complete review of the CR2 quite soon as I took some photos when I installed it. But over the last couple of days it has proved its name totally, even fine tuning (focusing) into Saturn is now flawless.

Archived