Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First steps

Phenakist

I took my first steps today and it was awe inspiring. I have always been into the things beyond things but it's only been in recent months where I have wanted to do astronomy in particular.

For the first time I looked up at a star and found exactly what I was looking for, Vega. I understand this isn't a big achievement by any stretch of the imagination, but for me personally it was a whole new take on what I was looking at. I knew it was a star, billions time bigger than my puny self, I knew which star it was, I could easily find out what it was made of if I wanted to and it is this feeling alone that makes me know that astronomy is what I want to get into!

Also it was fun to use other stars to work out where it was! :)

Don't kid yourself that it isn't a big achievement, the vast majority of people go through life never identifying a star!

And you've hit the nail on the head, a lot of the time it isn't what you are looking at, it's what you know about it that creates the feeling :D

You're on your way now and believe me, the journey is exciting :)

Don't kid yourself that it isn't a big achievement, the vast majority of people go through life never identifying a star!

My 7 year old daughter has stood outside looking at the stars with me a few times over the school hols. I would point out the bright stars to her and she has become familiar with some of the names.

She was most impressed when we saw the ISS go over, though!

Archived