Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Digi Camera holder/tripod help.

HI to all,

Just wondering if this digital camera adapter BRACKETS would be any good for a SW 127? If so only for Planets & Lunar? Obviously no good for DSO's, the scope or adapter? How about for double stars? I have a Panasonic TZ7 digital camera which has a 'Starry Sky' setting which allows you to use shutter speeds of 15,30 & 60 seconds (in other words the length of time the shutter is open for I guess!) :p all info welcome :)

Also can anybody suggest a tripod suitable for this camera? Nothing too fancy, just something to keep the camera perectly still for macro shots and to try and capture the Northern lights next February :D;)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry it's taken so long for you to get a reply.

Adaptors like the Skywatcher Universal Camera Adapter should work fine with your camera, however I'd email First Light Optics before you order - just in case.

Camera adapters like the above hold the camera so it 'looks' into an eyepiece (so basically, it sees what your eye sees). This is fine for lunar, and maybe planetary. I'm not really sure about double stars.

I'm sorry, but I don't have any experience with tripods for digital cameras, so can't help you there.

Clear Skies :)

Luke

Hi Scotty I have the tz7 also, and a fine little camera too.

Your right about the night mode, one thing i would advise is to use the self timer function (choose night mode by turning the dial to SCN, then press the left 'move' button and scroll down to 10sec')

Doing this it'll wait for ten seconds after you pushed the shutter release, and you should get far better pics.

Also keep an eye out on here for bits-n-bobs

AstroBoot << click

Should find a few table top tripods that will get you going for a few quid.

~bearing in mind cheaper flimsy cam adapters can be a nightmare as they tend to drift/flop around..the one Luke points to should be fine as the tz7 has a standard fit thread, just need to pick 1.25 or 2 inch fit :)

hth

Glen

Any tripod you get will need to be firm enough to prevent camera movement during the time the shutter is open. The slightest movement will produce naff pictures. It tends to follow that the heavier the tripod the firmer it stands. Also, if you use the tripod with the center column fully extended, the camers will be less well supported. If needs be, see if you can attach a weight under the tripod to provide extra stability.

"Weight bag or stone bag

A cloth or plastic bag which can be attached to your tripod via a hook on the end of the of the centre column, or clamped around each of the three legs. Fill up with stones, rocks or anything handy that’s heavy to add to the stability of your tripod. You could alternatively hang your camera bag to this hook to add extra weight. Whichever option you choose the extra weight will help produce steady shots when using a lighter travel tripod."

Any tripod you get will need to be firm enough to prevent camera movement during the time the shutter is open. The slightest movement will produce naff pictures. It tends to follow that the heavier the tripod the firmer it stands. Also, if you use the tripod with the center column fully extended, the camers will be less well supported. If needs be, see if you can attach a weight under the tripod to provide extra stability.

"Weight bag or stone bag

A cloth or plastic bag which can be attached to your tripod via a hook on the end of the of the centre column, or clamped around each of the three legs. Fill up with stones, rocks or anything handy that’s heavy to add to the stability of your tripod. You could alternatively hang your camera bag to this hook to add extra weight. Whichever option you choose the extra weight will help produce steady shots when using a lighter travel tripod."

Or the wifes handbag :):D

Thanks for the help. I've been looking online at one or two 'Hama' tripods which have the hook you mention, for around £10-15 which seem pretty good, also the reviews are encouraging ;)

Hi Scotty I have the tz7 also, and a fine little camera too.

Your right about the night mode, one thing i would advise is to use the self timer function (choose night mode by turning the dial to SCN, then press the left 'move' button and scroll down to 10sec')

Doing this it'll wait for ten seconds after you pushed the shutter release, and you should get far better pics.

Also keep an eye out on here for bits-n-bobs

AstroBoot << click

Should find a few table top tripods that will get you going for a few quid.

~bearing in mind cheaper flimsy cam adapters can be a nightmare as they tend to drift/flop around..the one Luke points to should be fine as the tz7 has a standard fit thread, just need to pick 1.25 or 2 inch fit :D

hth

Glen

Hi Glen, thanks for the info. The TZ7 is indeed a fine little Camera - I'm well pleased with it :)

Welcome Scotty,

Dss will take care of the pics you take concerning wide field shots.

DeepSkyStacker - Free

Take a few 30/60 sec pics (like 20 odd) of a chosen area of the sky, in dark skies if possible and Dss (Deepskystacker) will 'stack' the various pics to show even more.

It won't be major great, (it may surprise you ~ i definitely was!) although it should get you started.:D

As for planetary/moon pics, like you say, you'll need a camera adapter and shorter exposures. You could even take a video of Jupiter and throw it at Registax, although i haven't tried it..

RegiStax- Free image processing software

Long and short of it is experimentation and enjoyment.

See what happens :)

Best,

Glen

Welcome Scotty,

Dss will take care of the pics you take concerning wide field shots.

DeepSkyStacker - Free

Take a few 30/60 sec pics (like 20 odd) of a chosen area of the sky, in dark skies if possible and Dss (Deepskystacker) will 'stack' the various pics to show even more.

It won't be major great, (it may surprise you ~ i definitely was!) although it should get you started.:D

As for planetary/moon pics, like you say, you'll need a camera adapter and shorter exposures. You could even take a video of Jupiter and throw it at Registax, although i haven't tried it..

RegiStax- Free image processing software

Long and short of it is experimentation and enjoyment.

See what happens ;)

Best,

Glen

Thanks again Glen :):D

I will of course post any that are worthy of this lounge :p

Hi Scotty,

Really interesting thread !

I've also got a TZ7 and hadn't even considered I might be able to use it for some basic astro photos. I've got the philips webcam, which is great, but it's fixed to the equivalent of I think a 6mm eyepiece, whereas it looks like this piece of kit allows you to use your own eyepieces to get lower mag/wider views. I don't have the right type of mount, nor am I ready for the expense of "proper" astro photography, but if I can get some half-decent shots to share with friends with this setup, that would be pretty cool.

Seriously considering grabbing one as well...

Matsey :)

The Universal adaptor will take any camera with a standard thread, and attach and line it up with an eyepiece. Beware they do add a fair bit of weight so you may need to rebalance the scope (wich needs to be substantial enough to hold it all).

Also watch for different sizes - you can get adaptors that attach to 1.25" and others to 2" eyepieces. HTH :)

Thanks Brantuk... the TZ7 does come with a standard tripod thread, so looks like we're all good there. A question though if you know the answer (and apologies to scotty for the slight thread hijack here!).. when you say the scope needs to be substantial enough, what would you consider substantial? Would my 6SE be OK do you think? Maybe I should drop FLO an email before ordering...

(and chuckle, but I had to google what HTH means... :) )

Hi Scotty,

Really interesting thread !

I've also got a TZ7 and hadn't even considered I might be able to use it for some basic astro photos. I've got the philips webcam, which is great, but it's fixed to the equivalent of I think a 6mm eyepiece, whereas it looks like this piece of kit allows you to use your own eyepieces to get lower mag/wider views. I don't have the right type of mount, nor am I ready for the expense of "proper" astro photography, but if I can get some half-decent shots to share with friends with this setup, that would be pretty cool.

Seriously considering grabbing one as well...

Matsey ;)

Hi Matsey,

Glad you're enjoying the thread :D

Yes with this adapter you use whatever EP's you have to hand so the lower mag ones should give you a wider FOV...I think :)

Have you noticed on the TZ7 there's a 'Starry Sky' setting in 'scene' mode? You can set the shutter to 15, 30 or 60 Seconds. It's recommended that the darker the sky the longer the exposure time, hope this helps :p

I wouldn't use it on something like a 4" or 5" starter newt on an eq1 or eq2. I think balancing the scope may be a problem and the mount/tripods usually have some inherrent vibration cos they're so light. A 6SE on the other hand should be no problem - far more "substantial" scope and mount :)

Thanks Brantuk... the TZ7 does come with a standard tripod thread, so looks like we're all good there. A question though if you know the answer (and apologies to scotty for the slight thread hijack here!).. when you say the scope needs to be substantial enough, what would you consider substantial? Would my 6SE be OK do you think? Maybe I should drop FLO an email before ordering...

(and chuckle, but I had to google what HTH means... :p )

No worries Matsey, I have no problem with you asking Brantuk about the scope being substantial enough....I was going to post asking him the very same thing :) so if you're about Brantuk, how would my SW 127 GOTO cope? The camera Matsey & myself are considering using is 229g with memory card & battery.....HTH :D;)

I wouldn't use it on something like a 4" or 5" starter newt on an eq1 or eq2. I think balancing the scope may be a problem and the mount/tripods usually have some inherrent vibration cos they're so light. A 6SE on the other hand should be no problem - far more "substantial" scope and mount :)

And a SW 127 Mak......? :D

Have you noticed on the TZ7 there's a 'Starry Sky' setting in 'scene' mode?

Yep, I have been playing around with the night mode a little bit over the last few weeks, but not getting very good results... mainly because I've just been trying to hold it steady or rest it on a table pointing upwards.. not very effective at all !! In fact I was looking at getting a camera tripod when I came across your thread... this adapter looks like a much better option.

A 6SE on the other hand should be no problem - far more "substantial" scope and mount

Thanks Brantuk, good to know, pretty sure I'll be placing my order very shortly :D

HTH :):D

LOL ;)

Yep, I have been playing around with the night mode a little bit over the last few weeks, but not getting very good results... mainly because I've just been trying to hold it steady or rest it on a table pointing upwards.. not very effective at all !! In fact I was looking at getting a camera tripod when I came across your thread... this adapter looks like a much better option.

:)

I tried that with the 'Starry Sky' setting - holding against the fence or wall - a complete waste of time!!! :p;)

You defo need a tripod or the adapter :D

With a small'ish Mak I probably wouldn't be using a dslr. Is it Alt/Az or Equatorial mounted? And do you have a retailer link to it? I'd be using a webcam on that size/type of scope and trying for pics of planets :)

BRACKETS

The camera (Panasonic TZ7) is a compact not a dslr Brantuk, small enough to fit in a shirt pocket ;)

I've read a lot about using a webcam, excuse my ignorance but does a webcam have to be 'powered' and if so by a PC or Laptop? :D

With a small'ish Mak I probably wouldn't be using a dslr. Is it Alt/Az or Equatorial mounted? And do you have a retailer link to it? I'd be using a webcam on that size/type of scope and trying for pics of planets :)

Sorry - Alt/Az :D

The webcam I use is powered via the USB lead when plugged into the computer - just like when using it as a webcam for video conferencing. The idea is to take a short film of the planet and build up several thousand frames that can be stacked and aligned.

This helps to get through the "seeing" and capture those elusive moments of clarity. Any dodgey frames can be dumped and only the best ones used in the stacking process.

Compact cameras I've no experience of - but it sounds light and small. If it's a single shooter though, a webcam will be better, and you'll use a different type of adaptor. See this model (the adaptor for it is listed below).

Buy Philips SPC880 webcam (Not pre flashed) at Morgan Computers

:)

Archived