Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Options for fixing a laser bracket?

Woking

Hi, just purchased a <5mW green laser purely for responsible scope finder usage.

Been trawling the web for ideas on suitable brackets and fixing methods, and now stuck on the following options/ideas. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1. Bracket fixed to OTA tube with supplied adhesive pads.

Can't drill holes into my refracter, but not entirely happy with the sticky pad option either.

Not even sure if there's room to fix on the tube base focuser end with the position required for the tube rings when balancing the heavy panaview EP. Would there be alignment issues at the dew shield end?

2. Bracket with dovetail shoe

Not sure which bracket will fit the skywatcher and ideally want to keep the current finderscope on without swapping (again don't want to drill any holes for an additional dovetail shoe bracket either).

The Orion bracket I've found looks a bit clunky and not entirely sure it matches the SW dovetail shoe.

3. Using the 1/4 piggbyback screw on the tube rings?

Would this work? guess the laser bracket could be attached to a dovetail bar fitted on top of both tube rings like a guidescope.

But is there an option of just using the one 1/4 piggyback screw? This would be my preferred option as should be easy to add/remove (I always pack up and store my scope in it's case).

Are there any brackets/adaptors which I could mount on the 1/4 piggyback and attach a laser bracket to? I've scoured the web with no luck and not sure about alignment issues either.

These are the best brackets I've found available from UK suppliers but none seem to be the perfect method for my needs. Any ideas which would allow somekind of fix for option 3?

Astro Engineering AC666 Laser-Mate universal laser pointer telescope mounting

Finders

Orion SkyLine Deluxe GLP-to-Telescope Bracket - SCS Astro

cheers and roll on some clear skies for a change:)

One thing to consider is the need to keep the green laser warm. Mine was supposed to be good in cold weather but fades very quickly it I don't keep it in a pocket. I had to take it out of the Celestron 6x30 finder holder that I'd been using. Kendrick however now do a laser pointer heater which might make it practical; see: www.altairastro.com/product.php?productid=16429&js=n

Thanks - think the astro engineering bracket will probably suit best.

My idea is to tap an extra 1/4" hole so I can attach to the tube ring bracket - am I missing something here and there's a reason why this would'nt be feasible? It should be steady and align ok as the bottom plate will still fit the curvature of the tube ring as it would do by the suggested method of fitting to the scope.

Understand that the tube ring piggyback system is primarily for mounting cameras or dovetail bars for guidescopes etc, but why can't other accessories be directly attached there too?

Archived