Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I have some 'play' on my HEQ5 - Is this normal?

swag72

Please bear with me, I'm a bit of a technophobe and so this may be hard to describe!!

When the clutches are all tight on my HEQ5, I have some degree of 'play' on the mount. It probably moves about 2mm when I deliberately move it and feels like the scope isn't seated on the cradle properly (that kind of feeling) - It is all tight though. So, I thought that perhaps it needs worm gear tightening?

I know this sounds a little vague, but it's hard to be specific. Initially I thought it was just on the DEC, as when the scope is on I can move it a little. Then I tried it from the counterweight rod and I get the same movement.

Should mounts have any degree of movement in them?

There is a fine balance between having it too tight so the gears lock up and too loose so there is a little play, you can play around with the screws that tighten and loosen the engagement until it is just right. It sounds a little intimidating but actually it is really really easy. I have had play in my RA axis before and played around for 10 mins or so until it is perfect.

One thing I would add is that once you think you have it perfect, let the axis you have adjusted do a full 360 degree turn, using it's motors to make sure the gears aren't going to bind at any point at all.

here is a great guide

HEQ5 - Worm Adjustment

sounds like you have what i have on my mount i was panicing about mine thinking all sorts but in the end if its not broke dont fix it :) mine still has some play in it but works fine so im leaving it well alone till i can get a neq6

I've had this a couple of times, when somethings not quite been tight enough. Normally the mount head bolt from the tripod... The clutches scope and everything are good and tight, but a teeny amount of play in the head bolt means everything feel wobbly... that really upset everything though.

Archived