SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Is the universe a blackhole?

As most of us are aware the behaviour of the laws of nature appear to differ at different scales. In the sub atomic world we have quantum physics and on the large scale we have Einsteins special and General relativity and they are incompatible. When I think of variations in scale I imagine that I can zoom to infintesimal scales and in the other direction pan out to infinitely large scales. It occured to me that if I imagine this as moving along a direction of travel, zooming in or panning back, changes in scale... size appears non relative. I mean we can't have any size atom or tiny planets. Imagine being in a dark void with no stars or anything to use as a reference... how do you know how big you are? If variations in scale were relative you could have a atom of any size. Right then the point is this, if motion through the scale direction is non relative and the only other place that is non relative in physics is gravitional fields or during accelerations which are equivalent forces, then the universe to me is like a gravitional field in which we and everthing around us appear to be in free fall within it, centred on the sub atomic realm. Could the universe be a blackhole with a singularity located at the plank scale.:)

Note:As we all freefall within it we would see the large scale universe expanding away in the other direction.:(

I think you summed up why Physics is an amazing science. We don't really know, Im sure singularity is a term used for something we dont understand. The universe could be a blackhole. There could be dark matter and dark energy holding the universe together. We could be a universe within another universe. I like to think about what was here before the Big Bang occurred. It is difficult to grasp the depth of scale when you speak of sub atomic particles and the distances between objects in the universe. Luckily, there are Physicists out there who look to answer these questions and hopefully the world will support them no matter what.

Nice theory, but if we were free falling, would the universe look like it is expanding away from us in all directions? It would probably look like everything is moving away in one direction but only to observe from the opposite direction to that which it is heading. Would there not be a sort of Bow shock effect at the front causing some sort of bulge that would be optically verifiable?

The theory I put forward proposes that the direction is towards the sub atomic. A difficult concept to grasp I must admit. All objects electrically bound together are falling at the same rate while the smallest fundermental particles are maintaining their 'distance' away as they collapse further ahead. Photons for example which effectively have no size collapse at the fastest possible rate analogist to limit the speed of light, this is the smallest possible size possible, the planck lenght. In the standard model we are of fixed size and the universe is expanding away. It is mathematically equivalent to imagine the edge of the observable universe to be a static event horizon with all that contained inside it to be collapsing. It's just easier to image the standard unit lenght to be fixed relative with us, with the large scale universe to expanding away. I too prefer to imagine the universe expanding away with us measuring properties with in it relative to the fixed standard unit lenght, but the question of the thread is are we in a blackhole?

Bow shock? If you give in to gravity and freefall you do not feel it's force... that is until you hit a solid surface, Lol

Of course I can't prove anything. You have to excuse me if I get carried away with my unfounded ideas.. I must restrain myself I appreciate any constructive comments you may make. I have all this stuff in my head and feel I want to share it with someone. :)

A universe could exist 'inside every black hole,' claims scientist - Telegraph :)

You might also check out the concept of:

String duality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Where "infinitely" large (expanding) universes become somehow equivalent to "infinitely" small (contracting) ones? Yet we might still somehow fit comfortably into either. The concept of size seems rather "flexible" too, and depends on methods of measurement. We use photons - Light years(!), but it seems there are equivalent "other ways" and definitions. If you understand all this, in simple terms, do explain it to me! :D

Aside: Not entirely sure of the standing of certain theoretical physics now - Wot with no immediate evidence for "New Physics", super-symmetry, the Higgs particle, recently from CERN. :(

Thankyou very much for your response Macavity. I've started another thread 'Alternative to the Big Bang'. Which incorporates some of this thread. I was interested in the different aspects of string theory and M theory at one time, but I haven't heard much about any recent developments these days. Higgs Boson, mmm I have a bad feeling about that one. Probably find another level of complexity to add additional weird and wonderful particles to those already found, but i bet not the Higgs. Scientists are trying to simplyfy the Standard Model, while I feel nature is laughing at them and playing them a merry old game.

I think the Higgs Boson will be found. I watched a program about it recently: The Big Bang Machine with Brian Cox.

It was very interesting, and now, the scientists at CERN think they will have found something by christmas.

Fingers crossed I suppose :)

Clear Skies

Luke

I think the Higgs Boson will be found. I watched a program about it recently: The Big Bang Machine with Brian Cox.

It was very interesting, and now, the scientists at CERN think they will have found something by christmas.

Well according to the latest info - I think they'll have NOT found anything by Christmas in the places (energies) they are looking, which means a lot of models will have to be thrown away, rejigged, reinterpreted.

See The laws of physics. Or are they more like guidelines? | Jon Butterworth | Science | guardian.co.uk

for some cutting edge stuff.

Archived