NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Imaging Source Cameras

Willarnold

Hi All,

I'm looking to upgrade from my webcam to an Imaging Source Camera.

Looking at FLO's website I've narrowed it down to either the:

DFK 21AU618.AS Colour

DFK 31AU03.AS Colour

DFK 41AU02.AS Colour

Is the Imaging Source a good upgrade from my webcam? and what's the difference between the three (apart from the price :))

Any other suggestions would be welcome

Cheers

moon and sun go mono. Planets go for the colour if you don't want to play with filters and don't mind losing some resolution. If you are going for planets I would go for the 618 camera, small chip, but sensitive, so you can keep the exposures down. If you want the sun or moon mostly, then get the bigger ones.

Cheers

PEterW

To answer the other bit of your question, the difference is chip size. Larger is better on the sun and moon but more expensive and you need to check the frame rate because the larger chips can't run as fast. This is a disadvantage on the planets.

I'd second Baader colour filters.

I have a DMK21 mono which I really only use on the sun but I intend to go for the larger chipped 41, I reckon. They are all tough, industrial quality cameras and a delight to use.

Olly

Imaging Source cameras have one problem - lack of ROI - so you can' get DMK41 and use fast ROI for planets. So if someone wants all in one then there is Point Grey Chameleon (USB / ICX445 / may be cheap), Basler Ace camera with that CCD or Lumenera/QHY5* and few more :). And they have 12-bit A/D and that's handy in Solar H-alpha imaging.

Thanks all, I do love this forum where there is so much expert knowledge that you are all happy to share :)

So I think I'm getting my head around it. Looking at the Imaging Source website the chip sizes go from a 3rd of an inch to half an inch. The down side is the frame rate reduces, but the upside is that's it's a bigger chip.

I think I'm going back to my original thought of a colour camera (I know black and white is more sensitive) but I don't want to be messing about with filters and merging the images.

So one other question do I go with or without the IR filter?

My initial thought is that I could also use this camera for deep sky (I see they can expose up to 60 mins). So surely I could add an IR filter for the planets, then remove for deep sky?

Many thanks

Note that they are uncooled and 8-bit so for DS imaging you can use up to max few mins exposures (at low gain). If you have a Canon - use it for DS, while for planetary either use the QHY5 or if it has to be colour - new DFK/DBK21 with the ICX618.

In general both planetary and DS imaging will require or "like" the IR/UV cut filter (or anti light pollution for DS imaging).

Fair enough, I won't try 'jack of all trades'. It's really a good planetary imaging camera that I'm after.

So I'm better off going for the DFK 21AU618.AS at it can go up to 60fps, than a larger chip, but slower frame rate.

The only thing is that I've got a QHY5 that I've used for guiding, if there's not much difference between the two am I wasting my money?

Archived