Comments on the Quattro f4 Focuser Please?

I have a Skywatcher Dual-Speed 2” Low Profile Crayford Focuser already, and am upgrading to a Quattro f4 8". How does the focuser on the Quattro compare to the Skywatcher low pro model, they look very similar. Also, does anyone know if the Quattro uses compression rings?

.. does anyone know if the Quattro uses compression rings?...

Don't make me Laugh !!! :)

Thats one thing that actually lets the focuser down, but apart from that, its a strong focuser. No image shift (which is a improvement) & has two locking knobs one on top & bottom of the focuser drawtube, it was able take my Baader MPCC with some extension tubes, Atik EFW2 Filterwheel & a Atik 383 hanging off it...

Nadeem.

Just need to use a small pair of pliers to make sure your kit doesn't frop off the back end! I once ground a small notch into a refractor diagonal so that the screw would have an "undercut" to sit in, to prevent nocturnal accidents!

Cheers

PEterW

FWIW I detest compression rings and consider them a menace. I remove them in most cases and hurl them far into the night. When I said this in a discussion thread, once, it was interesting to see how many people agreed. The problem is the lack of an industry standard and the fact that those wretched brass strips end up distorted and get stuck, come loose, tangle with conflicting EPs and nosepieces, etc etc.

Olly

Funnily enough, I rather like compression rings but I treat them very carefully when inserting and withdrawing accessories but once inserted, they grip like mad. Now, in fairness, I am new to compression rings as my equipment until recently has been budget stuff with dinky little thumb screws that damaged my kit!! I hope I'm not proved wrong in the future but I like 'em but as with all my gear, I treat 'em with respect as though they were a fine piece of light engineering.

Funnily enough, I rather like compression rings but I treat them very carefully when inserting and withdrawing accessories but once inserted, they grip like mad. Now, in fairness, I am new to compression rings as my equipment until recently has been budget stuff with dinky little thumb screws that damaged my kit!! I hope I'm not proved wrong in the future but I like 'em but as with all my gear, I treat 'em with respect as though they were a fine piece of light engineering.

But what happens here, Steve, is that inevitably a large number of different nosepieces and EPs get inserted, each with its cutout channel in a different place. Sooner or later a non-compatible one goes in and tightening distorts the brass strip. If there were an industry standard, maybe I'd warm to them. I really don't care about marks on an EP barrel but I accept that some feel otherwise.

Sorry, my digression risks turning into a hijack. Apologies.

Olly

Archived