Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Testing an ST4 Cable

Stephen

After a frustrating night of being unable to guide, I started to come round to the conclusion that my ST4 cable may be at fault.

PHD and QGVideo would not move the mount through either my QHY5 or the 314L (as a test.)

However I've just put the ST4 cable in the back of my adsl modem, and I'm still connected to the internet :)

Is this a suitable test for the cable, or could there be other issues that wouldn't show through a modem test?

Cheers

Scrap that as a silly idea then :)

So I got the multimeter out and verified each pin - they all seem sound.

Guess the only question is are they wired up the right way - or should one of the connectors be flipped over?

post-23057-133877656831_thumb.jpg

I am starting to fear the problem is higher up the chain (Guide Port / Handset / Mount) :(

in a standard 9-pin serial connection pins 2 and 3 are swapped over i.e. Send and Recieve . I'm not sure if this would apply to a ST-4 cable?

No there's not pin swapping in an ST4.

However final brain wave of the evening!!!

I realised that as I have a DIY guide port, I can remove the ST4 cable from the loop, and plug the handset via the tiny 4" cable coming out of the handset directly into the QHY5.

Guess what, it all worked :)

Time for a follow up email to Astronomiser, I would like a new cable please!!!!!

Archived