NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Wobbly focuser?

Hey all, I have a problem with my focuser for my 6" dob. When ever the focuser is brought out when turning the knobs up or down then the focuser tube moves side to side. So if i turn it upwards it will move but then stay untill when i move it down it moves the opposite way. I have tried quite alot taken the focuser apart and had a look but nothing seems to be a problem. I have noticed that in the focuser mount where you insert the rack and pinion tube there is a little rectangle piece of plastic which moves from side to side, look on the outside there are two hex key holes in the same place which i have no idea what they are for. Just came to ask on how to fix this if you can and or will it have a problem on my views as if it keeps moving it wont be square all the time. ANY help appreciated thanks all.:)

*Have also noticed that it when it is all the way in you can still turn the knob and the focuser still moves in the direction of the knob.

I think adjusting the two very small socket screws you mention should cure your problem. These bear down on the plastic strip and take up the clearance that is causing the wobble. Tighten them carefully and evenly untill the motion feels right for you.

Archived