NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My very first ever stacked image!

ChrisEdu

So, whilst having my great evening's viewing yesterday, I decided to hold, rather shakily, a little compact camera to the eyepiece and take a short 10-20 second video.

Then, today, I suddenly got the urge to try Registax, having seen it mentioned so many times! I downloaded version 6 and, guessing my way through how to use it, loaded my clip and tried processing it.

This is the result! Okay, not great by most standards, but it's a start and certainly added to my desire to have a better try, maybe with a proper little webcam.

Any advice, as ever, gratefully received.

Clip taken using a NexStar 4SE and FujiFilm JZ - hand held to the 25mm plossl eyepiece. Processed in Registax 6 and very slightly tweaked in Nikon Capture NX2.

post-15252-133877654709_thumb.jpg

After you've stacked the image... you get taken to wavelets (sharpening)... a bunch of sliders, it's easy to go overboard with wavelets... There should be a tab after wavelets (or it might be on the same tab, it's been too long since I last used registax) labelled RGB align. This can help bring the three colours into alignment better (and might deal with the red at the bottom, and blue at the top)... it might not, but it's worth a try :)

Ok - cheers, I'll have a look and a play. As I said before, my image was the first time I used the software, so I was flying blind and kind of just guessing what to do! :)

Could anyone point me in the direction of somewhere good to buy a suitable webcam / accessories? I was thinking something like the famer SPC900NC? Would I benefit from a focal reducer on my 4SE?

SharpCap to record the AVI's

What's SharpCap? I'm assuming a computer program?

An ir cut filter. The webcam lens that you remove contains the ir filter and it needs to be replaced. This has the added benefit of acting as a handy dust shield too.

Yep - ordered the filter! :(

You do realise, we're now in for one of the worst Septembers on record?! :)

Archived