Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How do you get back to the same target night after night?

swag72

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Olly, I use the old version and only realised there was a new version after I sorted out the links for this post!!

This is what you do irrespective of version.

On session 2, load up an image from session 1 but don't move it or anything, just load it up and place the crosshair over a prominent star. With your best guess framing for session 2, take an image - it will appear on screen with Al's reticle now on top of it as the reticule is always the top layer - now adjust the telescope's pointing until the same prominent star from session 2 is under the crosshair. When you have achieved this, start session 2 for real.

I use Nebulosity2 to capture images and have no knowledge of Maxim, but I assume they share some bits and bobs......

When in frame and focus mode in NEB2 it Bins the camera to its maximum Bin mode - 4x4 in this case and it allows a short download speed 2 secs......so I load an image from the previous session and using the screen zoom in Neb, size the image to the same size as a 4x4 binned image, now place the reticule over a star/combination of stars or something you can recognise, then start the 1 sec looping frame/focus routine, setting the screen back to show 100% size, this is then reduced onscreen because of the bin mode, then move scope until star/s line up under the reticule.

In the image below the reticule is over a star but Ive noticed that there is a small cluster of stars under the line to the right as well....this helps sometimes because one star can be mistaken for another easily. :)

post-16950-133877656806_thumb.jpg

Archived