Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My take on an EQ6 pier adapter.

spaceboy

Sick of packing washers under a steel plate to get the mount level I decided it was time to make a more reliable way of adjusting the level and so hopefully get better tracking because of it.

I had a 12mm steel plate which I gas cut 2 x 200mm disks from. One to secure to the concrete pier top and the other for the mount to fix to. I'd got some aluminum plate left over from a previous mod on my dob so this was to be the top half of the adapter plate as it's easier to machine with my modest tools and it would also mean I could mount directly to the steel plate keeping maximum rigidity. I decided to go with 4 adjustment/ fixing bolts instead of 3, again in the hope this adds to the overall stability? A couple coats of Hammerite to finish it off and all I need now is the mount to fix to it :)

This is a useful link for anyone looking to make their own adapter http://www.nightskyimages.co.uk/eq6_dimensions.pdf

As I said in your pier thread Jules if you were closer I'd sort it out for you. If you were to ever plan to travel near my way feel free to bring the RSJ and what other steel you have and I'm sure we could get some kind of pier and adapter sorted out for you :)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived