heater bands

I use "dew not" strips - They're red nylon on oneside and "black fuzzy" on the other, but to be honest there's really only one logical way to fit them. For reference though, it's the red nylon side that feels hotter and that's what on the inside and goes against the OTA.

Erm, I can't quite remember (it's been a while), but give Bern at Modern Astronomy a buzz - He sells these "dew not" strips (and he was the one that told me I didn't need a controller with them :)).

A 4" strip takes 0.61A and an 8" takes 1.18A, so if you have a big OTA and you're running off a battery pack you may need to do some sums to make sure you have enough Ah - When running an 8" strip, mount, netbook and CCD camera, I'm pulling just shy of 6A

Thanks Andy. I've discovered with a bit of googling that they apparently consume substantially less power than the competition for equivalent size bands, so connecting one without a controller is equivalent power-wise to running another type of heater band on a controlled low power setting.

I'm running a CPC925 off a 38Ah power pack which has been more than enough over the summer. I think I'll try the bands onn their own initially and see how I go - can always get a contoller later if I find it necessary.

Thanks,

Phil

Archived