NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

will skywatcher etc release a 100 degree EP?

coffee_prince

I suspect that it'll end up just like the 82-degree market, with a bunch of options bearing the 100-degree tag with varying levels of quality control and optical performance.

What were originally the William Optics UWANs and subsequently became Skywatcher Nirvanas came quite late to the 82-degree party, but I remember them as being quite notable at the time in price/performance terms, it's a few years ago now but I generally remember the 82-degree options before that being either a similar price to the Naglers (e.g. the Meade s4000 UWAs) or rather dubious quality. Can't quite remember where Celestron fit into that picture, or if there's anything else obvious i've forgotten - Meade 4k vs. TeleVue was a real grudge-match for a while. But I would guess that Skywatcher will likely find and brand something similar before long in the 100-degree market, now it appears to be evolving from TeleVue boldly going where no man has gone before to a more general market thing. I suspect they will be pretty reasonable performers at a pretty reasonable price too, although just as the Nirvanas are "cheaper" but not "cheap" I'd guess that any Skywatcher 100-degree effort wouldn't be bargain-basement stuff.

I don't want to buy a range of 82 eps and then some budget 100 come out, because right now, the tmb 100 and zhumell dont seem to be available anywhere

edit

----

unfortunately those prices are still expensive to me for the orion 100, dounle the price of what you'd get in the usa

the explore scientifics sell quite low in the US ($250 for 9mm, $300 for 14mm) , so nothing in the uk seems to offer similar value, they are all double that price here from telescope house

Archived