Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Canon 70-200 F4 L USM lens mounting ring

palebluedot

I nearly had a stroke when I saw the cost of these, warehouse express want a whopping £125 for what in my opinion is not very much. I want to use my 70-200 for some imaging and don't think the camera mount will provide enough support as it would be way off balance.

I however did find this Chinese fake from ebay and thought for a fiver it might be worth a punt.

Tripod Mount Ring for Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L F4 F4L USM | eBay

[Edit] I pasted the wrong link.

The Chinese one is plastic and flexes .. I bought one, it's better than having the lens camera combo mounted on the camera's tripod bush for general use but i wouldn't rely on it on its own for astro...

I have meant to make a stepped adaptor plate that goes between it and the bush on the camera but haven't got round to it yet...

Peter...

Yeah they are ok. The one I got from china was not great quality TBH. In the end I got the genuine one.

I suggest you check for burs and replace the flocking and the thread of the bracket.

It might be £125 but how expensive is your camera and lens combo? £700-£1000

Is it worth risking it. it is the only contact between the mount and the hard ground.

Just a thought :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Well it finally arrived, and I have to say that I can't find anything wrong with it. It is all metal, and the loose ends lock into place before the thumb screw is tightened and prevents any twisting. It has a felt lining to protect the lens and the tripod bush is the correct size and secure. The finish isn't bad either, just slightly off colour.

Not used it for astro yet, but works perfectly on a tripod at 200mm.

Pleased so far... Could be £115 saved :(

Archived