NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

is a coma corrector necessary?

chemtom24

If you chose smaller targets you can crop out the edges, so a coma corrector is not strictly necessary when you start out. But it is highly recommended that you get one to get the best results.

I don't have a coma corrector yet and you can clearly tell that in my images.

thanks everyone - looks liek im in the market for one then :rolleyes:

withotu one will i just have blurred stars/star trails around the edge of my images? i guess il get my own answer soon lol

thanks everyone.

I used to image without one on my SW 10" Newtonian but the difference made it a very worthwhile purchase - a Baader MPCC (and maybe others too) will give an extra 10mm inwards focus travel which is a bit of a bonus but you need to bear in mind the necessity of correct spacing of your camera sensor the the mounting face on the corrector. Does you 200P have the older r & p focuser or the more recent Crayford? If the former, you may have issues with a corrector at the right spacing and attaining focus.

steve, i beleive its the crayford as once its racked in or out the wheel will still keep turning - somehting that didnt happen with my old R & P on my old 150. could be wrong tho, i hvnt took this one apart to have a look.

so youre saying that with a coma corrector i may have trouble getting enough 'in focus travel' on the focuser?

also, if anyone has a corrector going, i want it :rolleyes: just looked, didnt realise hwo much they are!

so youre saying that with a coma corrector i may have trouble getting enough 'in focus travel' on the focuser?

also, if anyone has a corrector going, i want it :rolleyes: just looked, didnt realise hwo much they are!

Thought you were doing it on the cheap :)

The Baader new is only about £100 isn't it? On my shopping list too ....

Thought you were doing it on the cheap :rolleyes:

The Baader new is only about £100 isn't it? On my shopping list too ....

hehe so did i!

have you got some images youve taken without one i could have a look at if you dont mind?

Archived