First outing and eyepiece kit recommendations

I appologize in advance for the newbie-nature of this post, and the possible duplication of a question that has already been asked 100 times, but I searched the forum and wasn't able to find something that answered my exact question.

I hadn't ever owned a telescope (or even looked through one for that matter) until about a week ago. I found a Meade 4504 w/ goto controls on Craigslist for $50. Everything seemed in order, save for one of the spider vane nuts being rolled up duct tape, so I bought it.

I took it home, finished putting it together (the motors and control had never been installed), turned a new spider vane nut on my lathe, and collimated it to the best of my abilities.

Friday night, I took it out for the first time. I got a hang for finding things manually (used Stelarium as a guide), and figured out the electronic controls. About 0100, I got a good view of Jupiter and decided to check it out. No joke, it was life changing. I had no idea I would be able to see it as well as I could through this cheap scope (with even cheaper eyepieces), but once I got the 4mm EP focused, I could make out several colored bands on a sharply focused disc with three moons in the background. I guess I've always known that Jupiter was there, but there is no substitute for actually seeing it yourself- not that I have to explain that to any of you.

So, I finally pulled myself away when I realized it was almost 0430, woke up a couple hours later, and immediately started shopping for betetr eyepieces over my morning coffee. The scope has got the cheap Meade 0.965" EPs (25, 12.5, 4mm), and I gathered that I would have a lot more options with a 1.25" adaptor in place. It was Saturday morning and I didn't have anything better to do, so I went out and started turning a replacement for my plastic 0.965" EP holder. It's all ready to go, except that I left the stop shoulder long so I could adjust it after I got some 1.25" EPs...which brings me to my dilemma.

The advice that I've gathered regarding most kits is that better EPs can be bought, one at a time, to fill in the ones included with your scope, and eventually replacing those in time. My problem is that, unless I want to switch back and forth between EP holders, I don't have any EPs. I think one of the available kits may be perfect for my needs. I'm basically in a position where I have NO EPs. Would either the Meade 4000, or Celestron EP kits serve me well? Or would I better going with a decent quality zoom EP? What direction would you go if you were in my position?

Celestron EP kit is as good as any- and much better than the bundled EPs. Only downside is short eye-relief (you jus about have to put your eyeball on the lens) with the 4 and 6mm EPs.

Use the 12 and 9mm with the 2X Barlow for higher mags.

I confirm the Celestron kit is a good starter, though many on here say the Revelation one is better. The Meade 4000 series are good quality, one on the For Sale on this forum for £150 coincidently, but you need 50 posts to be able to access. However, kits are great to start, that's how I started.

Hi,

Here are a couple of threads discussing the Celestron kits that I have been part of.

http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/127253-advice-wanted-eyepieces-celestron-eye-piece-filter-kit.html

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-help/151226-celestron-eyepiece-filter-kit-94303-a.html

The first being,like you, my first post on these forums, the second offering feedback from my experience.

I hope they help.

Dag123

Perfect. Thank you all for the advice.

I put the same post on another forum and am getting much the same advice, as well as some links to other discussions.

I think I am going to keep looking, though, becuase it looks like I may be able to find a kit that suits me even better.

I was surprised that I was able to get as good a view as I did through my cheapie 4mm, and I'm sure that any EP will be a step up from what I have. That said, it also looks like the concensus is that the 4 or 6mm EPs that come with the Celstron kit are really difficult to use and have a very short ER. I'm thinking I may try to find a kit with fewer EPs - 3 or 4 in the 40mm - 10mm range, and spring for a better quality seperate 4, 5 or 6mm.

I'm too new into this to know exactly where my interest will lie, but my immediate desires are to eek out the best views I can of Jupiter and Saturn through my scope, and have a couple decent quality EPs in the lower power ranges for learning the locations of the stars.

As has been said earlier, the trick with shorter eye-relief is to use a longer focal length and then Barlow it. The Celestron kit comes with a great Barlow and the 32mm ep is a fantatic ep, Barlowed it's also great.

Regarding the EPs in the Celestron kit, please check the contents as there seems to be two variants. Kits containing 4mm and 6mm being older/2nd-hand stock while the newer kits contain 32, 17, 13, 8, 6 & 2x Barlow.

dag123

Hi I recently had the same dilema returning to the hobby after 20 yrs. I started with second hand eyepieces, 4000 plossl meade. They can be picked up for £15-£18 on e bay and stripping and cleaning if careful is easy. ( new telescope house have them at £30 each) the 15mm is very good as is the 26mm I agree with above and barlow for higher mags. The 9.7mm is ok while at 6.4mm the relief is tight. As a final note picked up a skywatcher delux barlow that was recommended in the sky at night for £7 on ebay and its great.

I'm in a similar dilemma, to either buy a kit r buy higher end pieces one at a time. The GSO Revelation gets positive reviews, the cost of a whole set is absurdly cheap, so I think I may go for that when the time comes. As it is, right now I am still learning so I am not spending a penny right now on EPs

Archived