Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observer's Sky Atlas

andrew63

Thought I'd post a little review of this book - which sometimes gets overlooked!

Size wise it's a good size for field use - comparable to pocket sky atlas.

The pocket sky atlas is a wonderful book to use at the telescope, however at times I feel in need of more detail - especially for faint objects. Guide to astronomical wonders provides that detail but is not 'field guide friendly in the same way. This is really the main strengh of the sky atlas as it combines the best aspects of the above two books.

On one side you have descriptions of objects on the other a chart. This shows a wide view area to 6mag then a detailed circle to 9mag of the DSO in the area - the sort of view you would would get with sky atlas 2000. This provides much finer detail to aid in a search.

For me it's the ideal field guide and a real GEM!

andrew

FRom the city it's not a good idea to look for things that are not in it. Makes star hopping really easy. Got to be one of the best introductory finder guides out there... I have had mine practically forever (last millennium).

Cheers

PEterW

Archived